Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 AM

Default Set Mining

I like to flat call with small pairs or in position I will raise with them. I will also call small raises if we are both deep stacked.

Lets say I hit my set 33-77 after calling a raise from a player. He bets the flop which could be simply a bet from a hand which thinks it is still ahead (JJ-AA) or a c-bet with AQ AK etc. With my set am I better off raising the flop when I dont think the board hit his hand, or calling in hopes he hits his Q K or A on the turn when I will then raise.

Comments or suggestions welcome.

-Knightsridge
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 AM

Default Re: Set Mining

I would recommend raising by far most of the times, due to several reasons:
1) To maximise value: if he has an overpair, preferably AA, your chances are very good to get it AI on the flop. Same goes for hands like AK when he spiked TPTK.
2) To not give freecards: there are close to no boards when there is not some kind of draw (maybe even backdoor draw) and you simply dont want to give your opponent the chance to draw out on you.
Say you flopped a set of 4s and he has like AK of spades. Now board brings 4s 8h Kd. If you just flat call now and another spade hits on the turn, his chances of winning this pot have increased dramatically.
Plus there is always the small chance that he hits a two outer when holding AA if you slowplay.
3) To not give him a chance of becoming suspicious: Say villain raises PF with AA, you flat call. You spike your set on a dry board. Villain bets, you just flat call.
By doing this, villain could easily get suspicious and ask himself why you're playing like that (if he's a decent player of course!). At least, it will become much more difficult to get all his money, he might even get away from his hands if he knows your style of playing a bit.

One of the rare situations when playing a set makes sense:
when you think it makes sense to play "second hand low" (Wow, I always wanted to write this term).
Say there are two guys in the pot with you. First calls, you call with small PP, Button raises, all call. Now you spike a set but the first guy comes out betting. If you think there is a fair chance that Button will raise, you can just call and then raise big when the action comes back to you.

Hm, post got kind of long, sorry. This are just my 0.02 of course..
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM

As with most things, it depends.

Your descision should be based on your opponents style, your history with the opponent, and of course, the context of the board.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:25 AM

I agree pp are better in a raised pot, but that doesn't mean you have to raise them. If you're in a loose-aggressive game where there's a strong likelihood of a reraise (or any game you think there's a decent chance you'll be reraised behind), best to limp. You will be hoping there's a raise behind though.

Note if you are the opening raiser, you have way more fold equity for c-bets than being the limper/raisecaller. For this reason, prefer to muck if you don't hit if you were the limp/caller than to try bluffing.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:15 AM

I like to slowplay flop if I'm in position and c/r OOP. In turn I'll open bet OOP and raise IP.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM

Depends on position, stack sizes, texture of board, how many opponents are in the pot, and relative position to the bettor. I know that answer is kind of generic but it's the truth.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Depends on position, stack sizes, texture of board, how many opponents are in the pot, and relative position to the bettor. I know that answer is kind of generic but it's the truth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I do not think you can make generalizations in situations like this. It is completely situation specific.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would recommend raising by far most of the times, due to several reasons:
1) To maximise value: if he has an overpair, preferably AA, your chances are very good to get it AI on the flop. Same goes for hands like AK when he spiked TPTK.
2) To not give freecards: there are close to no boards when there is not some kind of draw (maybe even backdoor draw) and you simply dont want to give your opponent the chance to draw out on you.
Say you flopped a set of 4s and he has like AK of spades. Now board brings 4s 8h Kd. If you just flat call now and another spade hits on the turn, his chances of winning this pot have increased dramatically.
Plus there is always the small chance that he hits a two outer when holding AA if you slowplay.
3) To not give him a chance of becoming suspicious: Say villain raises PF with AA, you flat call. You spike your set on a dry board. Villain bets, you just flat call.
By doing this, villain could easily get suspicious and ask himself why you're playing like that (if he's a decent player of course!). At least, it will become much more difficult to get all his money, he might even get away from his hands if he knows your style of playing a bit.

One of the rare situations when playing a set makes sense:
when you think it makes sense to play "second hand low" (Wow, I always wanted to write this term).
Say there are two guys in the pot with you. First calls, you call with small PP, Button raises, all call. Now you spike a set but the first guy comes out betting. If you think there is a fair chance that Button will raise, you can just call and then raise big when the action comes back to you.

Hm, post got kind of long, sorry. This are just my 0.02 of course..

[/ QUOTE ]

well said

I will give what you said some thought

Thanks