Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

Default How many buy ins would you recommend for a bankroll for NL CASH HU?

Title sums it up pretty well.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: How many buy ins would you recommend for a bankroll for NL CASH HU

40-50 min for ssnl, not much experience higher but I'd assume you need more for 2/4+.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:17 PM

40-55? Just a tad too high .

If you're a great player then 1000-1500 BB's is already sufficient . In fact , you're still being very conservative with a ror of close to 1% .

I haven't figured out why the poker community refers to buy-ins when you should be talking about bb's . In limit hold em , we often times say that having about 300 bb's is sufficient with a risk of going broke of around 1% with a moderate win rate .

In nl , having about 1200 bb's is equivalent to having about 300 bb's in limit hold em with a moderate win rate .
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 PM

A really small sample but I'm confident that I am significantly ahead of either game. I have like $3800 in my bankroll right now, should I be sticking it out at .5/1 or taking another shot at 2/4?

I was looking at CR forums and some guy said he had $45k for this 1/2 BR... wtf?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

A really small sample but I'm confident that I am significantly ahead of either game. I have like $3800 in my bankroll right now, should I be sticking it out at .5/1 or taking another shot at 2/4?

I was looking at CR forums and some guy said he had $45k for this 1/2 BR... wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

Take 2 BI to 2/4
If you lose, drop back down
Old 09-11-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have more than enough for the 1/2 game if you're a decent player .
Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 AM

I'm actually interested to hear some responses for this one. My guess would be in the 40-50 range but I'm not sure. My biggest downswing at 1/2hu has been 13BI, so it's a good thing I had >>>20BI in my roll.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:42 AM

Isn't 20BI a good number? Maybe you can take a shot when you have 15BI, but 20 seems a good number. Also, when you reach that number, you gain enough experience for the next level, I feel.

Otherwise, play the game you are comfortable playing. If you are comfortable losing all of your bankroll, play bigger game and vice versa. But I am sure you already know this.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM

Another factor you should consider, in addition to risk of ruin, is how it will make you feel to lose a certain number of buyins. If losing $1000 or whatever is a normal concievable swong is a real sting to the heart to you, then you should have a bigger BR so it won't be as big a part of your roll before you play the level where you can anticipate a swong like that.. I play 2/4NL with ~25k (about to withdraw parts of it tho), both because I don't like to lose large parts of my BR, and because a considerable amount of it comes from donkaments so I have to just get some more hands in to verify that I'm really beating the games for the rate i think..
Old 09-11-2007, 05:50 AM

I just cashed out a bit but even after that I have 8k online and i'm only thinking about taking my first shot at 200nl next month.

HU is just too swingy, I guess it all boils down to if it'll be hard to deposit again or if this is just a side income for you. Playing on a 20BI BR will drive you crazy. I'm condsidered a nit in HU and have already been on an 18 BI downswing.

Unless you only playing 1 table at a time or something I wouldnt play any level without at least 40 BI's