Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Default calling a cbet with intent to take it away on turn,

How good is this play in small stakes mtts? I feel that players in ssmtt will bet a cbet allmost everytime they came in raising. Often they will check the turn and fold to a bet. Is this a safer way to play than to reraise on the flop?
Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM

Default Re: calling a cbet with intent to take it away on turn,

Yes I love floating. The problem here is you cannot generalize this to all small stake players. Don't try this move against loose passive players. The perfect ones I think are the tight aggressive type. They raise preflop, you call in position. They continuation bet the flop nearly everytime (especially since you're the lone opponent), you call. If a safe card turns and it's checked to you bet. I think it is better than raising his cbet if you have position. Most players with call here with AK when it's all low cards, but won't call a bet on the turn when they realize there's only one card to come.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How good is this play in small stakes mtts? I feel that players in ssmtt will bet a cbet allmost everytime they came in raising. Often they will check the turn and fold to a bet. Is this a safer way to play than to reraise on the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is a semi-advanced play that works much better in live, higher buy-in tournies with deep stacks. Learning how to fold when u miss and more importantly, learning to value-bet when you're ahead will make you more money in low buy-in online MTTs. "Floating" is almost always better than raising in the general situation that you describe above.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM

In many instances cold calling the flop looks stronger than reraising, IMO. It also allows you to look at Villain's turn action in order to see just how strong they are. I also like the flop CR, as like you say, the CB is just about ubiquitous these days.

Ultimately, though, playing at small stakes, you need to have a pretty good idea of the level your opponent is playing on. Some Villains are really bad, and make raising a personal matter, so don't get too fancy with your 8-high. Others will lay down pairs or better on 4th or 5th depending on the action.

I don't know if this answered your question at all.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 PM

I believe calling the bet on the flop then cbet is typically better than check raising. The main reason is that it allows you to control the size of the pot easier. When you rr the flop, any bet made on the turn will automatically be larger so you will be risking more of your stack.

Of course if you flop an OESD or FD on the flop, you may be better off rr the flop if you think the villain may check to you on the turn. Of course many factors can change your opinion, such as read on villain, board texture, etc.