Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2006, 02:54 PM

Default 88 in the BB, and I gaybet the flop?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

sb hadn't been at the table for long, but his stats were 67.2/5.47/1.19 over 256

MP was 42.9/14.69/1.3 over 177

fold the turn? bet the river? check/fold the flop? I think the only street not in question is PF. SB's regaybet on the turn kinda threw me off, so, as I can be prone to do, I decided to go to showdown since his play seemed so strange
Old 03-01-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: 88 in the BB, and I gaybet the flop?

I like the flop bet unless I can count on MP for a c-bet. If I can rely on him, I c/r.

I think I just fold to the turn donk. This is some crappy hand that has you beat a ton.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:58 PM

I usually check/raise these flops unless the PFRer is an aggressive auto gay bet raiser.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:00 PM

Turn bet could've easily been a bluff on a good card, considering his stats. He might not have caught, but he's betting you didn't either.

I hate these hands, but I'd play it like you did. I'd be tempted to bet the river, but he might have slowed down simply because the board got so ugly for his Jack (if he had it).
Old 03-01-2006, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually check/raise these flops unless the PFRer is an aggressive auto gay bet raiser.

[/ QUOTE ]

CRing on this board with my hand and the donk in the sb is only making my decisions harder on further streets
Old 03-01-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

CRing on this board with my hand and the donk in the sb is only making my decisions harder on further streets

[/ QUOTE ]

Decision seems pretty simple, you bet/fold the turn and check the river UI.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:21 PM

I hardly ever bet into a PFR in short-handed pots, since auto-bets from PFRs seem much more common than auto-raises.

However, in this particular case, I think I like it. With two overs on a coordinated board, I'm not sure how terrific your equity is anyway. (Then again, the fact that SB is so loose and could have K6o should help.) By betting it yourself, you could get a better sense of how much MP likes his hand. Even though sometimes he may wait and pop the turn, and sometimes he may raise a worse hand (like KQ), you aren't going to learn anything by just check-calling him unless he's a player that you've learned will raise preflop and then check a 3-way pot after missing. Well, another way you could learn what you need to know is if MP bets and SB checkraises, but in any case, your flop play seems okay to me.
Check-raising is another option, though. I might have trouble pulling the trigger on one of those after a call from SB, but he's so damn loose, who knows what he could be peeling with?

Anyway, in the actual hand, I'd probably call SB's turn bet. He's pretty aggro postflop for his VP$IP, and lots of players like to try to represent trips when the board pairs.

It's possible bet-folding would be best on the river, but I think I'd be too confused to do it. One possibility: SB was semi-bluffing a turned flush draw, and now he's checking because he caught.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:24 PM

Can you trust the pfr not to raise a worse hand on the flop? If not, I don't really see the advantage to leading.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:42 PM

To those advocating for a checkraise here, what do you do if the action goes like this:

SB check, Hero checks, PFR bets; SB Calls, Hero...

I think I would have played it the same and typically bet into the PFR in situations like this.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:11 PM

Not saying it's correct, but what do people think of check/calling flop, donking a safe turn line? Especially if SB folds (although it seems unlikely on this board).