FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who wins the fight
Gladiator 6 15.38%
Superman 33 84.62%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Default the perfect microcosms of government-managed society

Airline terminals. [rant]

Artificially high prices for food, communication (internet) and other minor goods.

The biggest companies involved (those paragons of efficiency, the airlines) are regularly propped up by government bailouts.

The word of the burocrat is king. Don't even think about getting into an argument with a government employee.

The concept of self-defense is deemed unthinkable. God help you if you don't remove your nail clippers before you hit security.

No sense of humor. Tell the wrong kind of joke and your ass is going to be grilled.

No privacy whatsoever. It's all "for your safety" that government employees are rifling through your belongings and telling you to take off articles of clothing.

Guys in camoflage with machineguns are never more than 30 seconds away.

What a way to live... [/rant]
Old 09-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: the perfect microcosms of government-managed society

It's in (foreign) war that you see the true nature of the state. There the state is not held back by public opinion.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's in (foreign) war that you see the true nature of the state. There the state is not held back by public opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm less worried about the "pure evil" aspect of government (though maybe I should worry more about it). The stupidity, inefficiency, and dehumanizing nature of government-managed society at its best is what really worries me.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:42 PM

OP,

This might be true, but how else can I impose my will on people?
But on a serious note, efficiency is really an issue here. It almost rewards inefficiency.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

You're like a less clever version of pvn. Reading your posts makes me embarrassed to be an anarchist.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm less worried about the "pure evil" aspect of government (though maybe I should worry more about it). The stupidity, inefficiency, and dehumanizing nature of government-managed society at its best is what really worries me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It starts with inefficiency/stupidity, then it moves to dehumanizing, then it moves to outright murderous.

This, my friend, is the nature of power.

And this is why the ring must be cast into the fire.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

You're like a less clever version of pvn. Reading your posts makes me embarrassed to be an anarchist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, at least I get instant responses. Yay!
Old 09-10-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinly veiled brag?
Old 09-10-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Artificially high prices for food, communication (internet) and other minor goods. <font color="red">this has no mor to do with the government than the same issues at ballparks and arenas. Wireless internet costs are not any higher than anywhere else, and in many airports are free</font>

The biggest companies involved (those paragons of efficiency, the airlines) are regularly propped up by government bailouts. <font color="red"> regularly? I only know of one bailout, due to 9/11. </font>

The word of the burocrat is king. Don't even think about getting into an argument with a government employee.

The concept of self-defense is deemed unthinkable. God help you if you don't remove your nail clippers before you hit security. <font color="red">by eliminating weapons of self-defense you also eliminate weapons of offense, obviating the need for weapons of self-defense. </font>

No sense of humor. Tell the wrong kind of joke and your ass is going to be grilled. <font color="red">you can't yell fire in a theater either. Someone overhearing your conversation doesnt know if youre joking or not, and when your detained for it you'll rant about that too. </font>

No privacy whatsoever. It's all "for your safety" that government employees are rifling through your belongings and telling you to take off articles of clothing. <font color="red"> see above </font>

Guys in camoflage with machineguns are never more than 30 seconds away. <font color="red">so? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

dumb rant
Old 09-10-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Artificially high prices for food, communication (internet) and other minor goods. <font color="red">this has no mor to do with the government than the same issues at ballparks and arenas. Wireless internet costs are not any higher than anywhere else, and in many airports are free</font> <font color="blue">It's not that "only government" can generate these conditions -- it's that government is so universally good at implementing and enabling them wherever they take control.</font>

The biggest companies involved (those paragons of efficiency, the airlines) are regularly propped up by government bailouts. <font color="red"> regularly? I only know of one bailout, due to 9/11. </font>
<font color="blue">okay -- "regularly" was perhaps an inappropriate word.</font>

The concept of self-defense is deemed unthinkable. God help you if you don't remove your nail clippers before you hit security. <font color="red">by eliminating weapons of self-defense you also eliminate weapons of offense, obviating the need for weapons of self-defense. </font>

No sense of humor. Tell the wrong kind of joke and your ass is going to be grilled. <font color="red">you can't yell fire in a theater either. Someone overhearing your conversation doesnt know if youre joking or not, and when your detained for it you'll rant about that too. </font>

No privacy whatsoever. It's all "for your safety" that government employees are rifling through your belongings and telling you to take off articles of clothing. <font color="red"> see above </font>

Guys in camoflage with machineguns are never more than 30 seconds away. <font color="red">so? </font>
<font color="blue">All the rest of these are justifications for police-state conditions based on your own lack of imagination.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

dumb rant

[/ QUOTE ]
I bet you'd really enjoy prison.