Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Default what to do about the Jerk....???

we have a home game. there's one guy that is a fairly good player, comes most of the time, and genererally is well behaved. however, he has a little Hellmuth in him.

eg the last time we had a game, he busted out when he moved in with XX and got called by Qxs b/c the caller had chips to spare and he figured the jerk's calling range was wide.

another time when I wasn't there he apparently was being unsportsmanlike as well. at that time, he was sent a written message indicating that he needed to clean it up and he had been better since then.

so now what should we do? also, to complicate the situation, his sig other also plays and there are no problems from the s.o. so it would be complicated to ban.
also, one of our regular players has seen him pull this stuff at a bar leage and at the local B & M.

warn one more time and threaten ban?
and if we have to ban, how do we go about banning one and not the other? what do we do if they both show up? let em both play that one time and then take both of them off the list?
Old 09-09-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: what to do about the Jerk....???

let it ride. There is always someone who will whine abit, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Let him play on
Old 09-09-2007, 11:29 AM

I'm not understanding what was the problem at the last game. He got busted. Okay, so?

I agree, people will complain and whine. To do so is an incredibly exploitable leak. If it's just a mild irritant and then he leaves, just let it be. There's no way you can the SO without the whiner, because I'm sure he's the type to give the SO crap about it.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:52 PM

Tell the guy's boyfriend that he needs to calm down or might be banned from the game.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not understanding what was the problem at the last game. He got busted. Okay, so?

I agree, people will complain and whine. To do so is an incredibly exploitable leak. If it's just a mild irritant and then he leaves, just let it be. There's no way you can the SO without the whiner, because I'm sure he's the type to give the SO crap about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's possible that some people might stop playing if we let this go on. it could escalate. eg, the guy who busted him last night let 3 comments go and on the 4th comment said something back to him. i can just foresee it getting worse from that point.

uniformly, everyone else who plays understands bad beats and plays and that it's a poker game for fun. he takes it too seriously and personally when he loses.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:36 PM

You're being incredibly vague here. Okay, so now we piece together that he got busted and said some comments.

What are the comments? How are people reacting? Details, man. Otherwise, how is our advice at all useful? More importantly, how do we extract maximum soap opera drama entertainment?
Old 09-09-2007, 02:49 PM

Man up and cope? As long as a guys not threatening violence or whatever, it's not a big issue unless everybody hates him.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:15 PM

I'm in favor of kicking out the annoying people. I've done it a couple of times and the game has benefited. But we need details here.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:34 PM

sounds like hes friends with everybody outiside of your poker game which makes dealing with this so much worst
Old 09-09-2007, 03:44 PM

most people only know each other through poker. I'm not even sure how he connected with the game, but I could say that about just about everybody that comes. the first 8 people that played about 3 years ago then invited their friends who invited their friends, etc., pretty soon we've got 100+ people on a list and 20-30 showing up each month for a no limit tournament.

as I recall the specifics, jerk had become somewhat of a short stack. so he started moving all in. I'd say he'd done so about 4 times previous to the last hand. the blinds and any limpers always folded to this point. On this particular hand, he has KQo. He gets called by an aggressive player, a big stack with QhTh. He said he made the call b/c the jerk's pushing range was wide due to all the pushes, and the caller had him well covered, and maybe it's a bad call, but oh well. (these comments were made after J left).

So after he busts out he says something like "keep playing bad." I thought he was talking to himself. He said something similar when he was still near the table, and I still thought he was talking to himself. then he made a third comment - still no swearing, still about the hand. All this time, the player who busted him out was just staking chips, trying to ignore it. and when he said a fourth thing as he was leaving the basement, the guy who busted him finally said something about how he was being a pussy and unsportsmanlike.

then J left. end of incident.

after he left we were discussing his attitude. he apparently threw cards at a bar league tournament, and was allegedly almost kicked out of the local B & M for some type of similar infraction.