Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 AM

Default I donked, but bad call? (new player)

Party Poker
NL Holdem Ring game
Limit: $0.05/$0.10
10 players

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is UTG with Queen[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Queen[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises .50</font>, Everybody folds, BB raises to $1.50
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises $3.70</font>,
BB All in.
<font color="#cc0000">Hero calls</font>
Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Queen[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Turn: Ace[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

river Queen[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB shows Ace[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Ace[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I realize I donked out huge on this one haha. But the guy said I made an idiot call. I've been getting advice from a very good NL5000 poker player though and this exact thing happened to me before PF. He told me to play it exactly like this. So I did. Bad Call, Good call. Things I should've done different?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: I donked, but bad call? (new player)

I think knowing stack sizes would help. Personally, I treat this situation differently depending on position and villain. But, if we assign his 4 bet range to JJ+, AK, and that's a loose range, you're flipping. If we tighten up to QQ+ you are a 20% favorite. I probably fold to a shove here, you might be good sometimes, but I think his range crushes you.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:56 AM

NL5000?! Does that exist?!?!

Yes, stack sizes do matter a lot. The deeper you both are, the more you might want to consider folding. In The Little Green Book, phil gordon says that the 4th bet always means AA. although online play is a lot more loose, a 4bet typically isn't going to be AQ or JJ-. People will always be afraid that you have AA - unless they have it themselves.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NL5000?! Does that exist?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

yea thats NL 25/50

it depends on stack sizes and villains range (how loose he is aggresiveness, etc etc) but i think his range is pretty tight considering your raising in EP...but at NL10 u never know ...
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 AM

Thanks.

I sat down 5 hands ago, and he sat down 2 hands ago. My poker office is down so I had nothing on him. Both our stacks are $10.

I think the re-raise is correct to $3.70 though isn't it? By using the list in the sklansky book I'm reading know he could have re-raised out of the BB with TT-AA, AK, AKs. With AK I'm a slight favorite. the other hands TT-JJ is worse, KK-AA is better so I'm even there. After his push I was thinking QQ-AA, or AK. I don't know exactly the combonations, but I think there is 6 combonations of KK-AA where I'm 20% favorite. and 8 combinations of AK where I'm 56% (might be wrong on combinations haha). With $3.70 in the pot already I have to pay $6.30 to win $20 at this point, and the hands I could put him on I think I'de be around a 40% winner (6 combos of 20%+8 combos of 56%). My math could be terrible though here since I havn't been playing long.

Where would you fold? and would you re-raise his re-raise?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:01 AM

Bump. Is my rational above way off, or make some sense?
Old 09-09-2007, 08:17 AM

As a general rule of thumb you should avoid stacking off with QQ against unknown opponents, but note that if you put him on a range of AK and QQ+, your call is +ev given your pot odds. The problem is that in my experience it is quite rare for an opponent to shove AK this way at these limits. If you feel like your read on the guy is that he could have AK here, call away.

Your raise to 3.70 is fine, but again, only if you think your opponent could have a worse hand than you. If you think he 3bets here with AK, then you can 4bet.

As you can see this is pretty read dependant which is why I recommend a fold until you can get a little better handle on what this guy is doing.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:30 AM

That makes a lot of sense. I probably shouldn't have gotten into that with someone I know absolutly nothing about, lol. Thanks a lot.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes a lot of sense. I probably shouldn't have gotten into that with someone I know absolutly nothing about, lol. Thanks a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problems. I lost a lot of money at QQ at 10nl before I stopped calling. Its a hard hand to throw away [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 09:48 AM

lol listen guys you never throw away QQ here ever!
if your doing this you all have a serious leak
even if the guy is a rock calling with 6-5 odds id good
please know what your talking about before posting advice to new players!