Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Borg 40 Good News, Bad News, Good News...

Borgata 40/80 9-handed

EP isn't terrible either preflop or postflop, but definitely not good either. He's somewhat loose and passive in both regards, but not absolutely terrible. He's only been in the game for a few orbits.

BTN is loose preflop and is passive when others have shown aggression and aggressive when he's the first to enter the pot. He is tricky as I've seen him not cap AA multiway, check-raise semibluff frequently, and barrel/bluff at pots either big or small.

Preflop: EP limps, MP raises, CO calls, BTN calls, SB folds, Hero calls A6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in BB.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to BTN who bets, Hero raises, EP 3-bets, Hero calls HU.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets, EP calls.

River: 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero bets...

I'm interested in alternative turn lines, but tell me what you do on this river as played anyways.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Re: Borg 40 Good News, Bad News, Good News...

fold preflop ffs.

flop is fine. i like your turn bet since that card might freeze him from betting his ace. the river is nasty and your hand is a bluff now. i don't mind the bet as the pot is pretty big and he might convince himself to fold ato or something. meh. [censored] spot.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:08 AM

This is very basic and very important and you cannot fall into this trap that many poor players make: You must fold A-rag offsuit from the BB every time to a raise in a full ring game. This will cost you money in the long run, even if you learn to fold before showdown. I will go as far as to say you are better off folding ATo and under to a standard raise. Anything better, and you'll have to look at the opponent and his/her positioning.

I don't mind your play post-flop until the river, but I'm done with it by the river. All the indications lead to him either (a) filling up or (b) having a really strong kicker diamond, which he's not folding.

I understand the pot is big, but I might even let it go getting 16.5:1 on the flop 3-bet. If he's loose/passive you might be able to read him for specifically two pair or a set to 3-bet you on the flop, and since it's very doubtful he has 83, you can only hope he has A3 in order to have a chance to suck out.

But again I repeat, unless you're suited, you should never put yourself in this predicament.

Garland
Old 09-09-2007, 07:03 AM

Ben, there's no way you were BB in this hand and called a raise with A6o.

If so, you're banned.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:25 AM

pf bad, postflop good. You need to make the river bet as it might be the only way to win the pot. You may make bb lay down a better ace here and the pot is certainly big enough where you want to invest 1 more BB to find one. The alternative line of c/f'ing sux b/c the pot is just too big and I don't like folding for 1 bet on the river even though we are usually beat.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:10 PM

fold pf sir

post seems okay to me
Old 09-09-2007, 08:18 PM

Preflop is a very easy fold - you're very likely to make an expensive second best hand with this holding.

Once you decide to play this hand, I think the flop is ok but I wouldn't be too pleased after EP three-bets since he is passive and could very easily have a good ace or set here. On the turn, I would probably check-fold if you hadn't improved.

As it went down, I bet the turn like you (it would be sick if you got raised - he probably doesn't have a flush since passive players don't play flush draws that way, but a raise would signify he probably has a set if he's passive). On the river, I would check since I don't see you getting paid off by a better hand too frequently and you could very easily be raised. Also, a diamond never folds but passive players will often check a weak diamond (whereas a more assertive player would be more likely to bet the river w/ any diamond after being checked to). So yea, I check.

But this post would be much shorter if you just folded preflop.

Jeff
Old 09-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Question to all. Assuming we play well postflop what kind of odds do we need to call out of the bb w/ this holding?
Old 09-10-2007, 12:38 PM

I see the bad news, an A6o in the big blind multi-way with an ace flopping.

What is the good news here? Surely not turning a 6 that puts three diamonds on the board.