Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Q8s blind steal meets resistance from BB, flops 2nd pair

Weeew, I've finally got a converter thanks to totoy27. Let's try it. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Villain is BB and is unknown. Just sat down 10 or 15 hands ago, never played with him before. In a hand before I folded HU to BB (I had 93o in SB)

Titan Limit Hold'em, $0.50/$1.00 (Titan HH Converter by Kreatief)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls,

I decided to steal but BB 3-bet. No clue whether this was a typical steal defense or a reraise with a strong hand. A typical player on this limit doesn't 3-bet here without a decent hand though, only the better ones.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ( 3.25BB )
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls,

Why guess if I can make him guess so I raise his c-bet. Partly because I gain more information and partly because my hand could be good here. When he 3-bets I know I'm beat. Probably an ace. I call because I probably have 5 outs and a backdoor FD.

Turn: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ( 6.25BB )
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls

Good card, I'm also on a flush draw now. I didn't raise because I doubt an ace would have folded here.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ( 8.25BB )
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls,

I paired my kicker and raised for value. When he 3bet I cursed and made a crying call. I hoped he was overplaying AK, you never know.

Is my line OK or is there a better way to play this hand? Was steal attempt with Q8s without reads on the BB correct? (SB was tight)
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Q8s blind steal meets resistance from BB, flops 2nd pair

i would call/call/call. what did you hope to accomplish with the flop raise?

as played, river is fine i guess. when he 3bets i don't see a hand that you beat, but whatever.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what did you hope to accomplish with the flop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Punish him for his cbet in case flop missed him. I also take the initiative and might also get KK to fold by a weak player (or some other hand that might redraw on me like KJ, KT and similar...).

I admit blind steal situations are somewhat new to me and sometimes I don't know exactly, what line to take. I'm learning and experimenting and that's why I posted this hand in the first place. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what did you hope to accomplish with the flop raise?

[/ QUOTE ]
Punish him for his cbet in case flop missed him. I also take the initiative and might also get KK to fold by a weak player.

[/ QUOTE ]

A flop raise would have had more value if the flop were A85. This is a calling flop.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 PM

Why? Is it because I might be up against a better Q here? Or is it because on flop A85 my hand would be much more vulnerable and thus I would really want to protect it against many possible overcards Villain might hold?

Please explain or at least give me a hint. I want to learn something new here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please explain or at least give me a hint. I want to learn something new here. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: Hand ranges
Old 09-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Let me try... in my case I really don't want that an underpair to my Q folds (and pocket pairs 3bet steal attempts often in my experience). I want those underpairs to keep betting. But in the "A85" case the opposite is true - I want to represent an ace and make pocket pairs higher than mine (99+) to fold, which would be superb.

Close enough or is there more and I don't see that yet?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me try... in my case I really don't want that an underpair to my Q folds (and pocket pairs 3bet steal attempts often in my experience). I want those underpairs to keep betting. But in the "A85" case the opposite is true - I want to represent an ace and make pocket pairs higher than mine (99+) to fold, which would be superb.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the idea.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 AM

call / call / raise imo
Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks good ...

but

what's your plan if you don't hit the 8 on the end?