Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Theory in high stakes heads up?

Hi,

I have recently started to play higher limit heads up to what i am used to, mostly 10/20 NLH, and I am amazed and how the typical player plays at these limits. I really enjoy playing these levels (even if it is above my bankroll)but I cant understand some of the plays I am seeing.
In short players seem to push on any draw at all, no matter how much is in the pot or what they put you on. I have alreay won and lost 6 or 7 all ins against draws on the flop even though the price doesnt seem to be right (most are calling my bets, not even pushing themselves)
Now I am not one to criticise players who have played at higher levels than me for a while, but what am I missing? I understand that the cards become less irrelevant at the levels, but surely basic maths and theory applies? Are these just bad players I have played or are typical 10/20 players just manic gamblers? I havent played nearly enough hands to get firm stats but these are just first impressions i am getting

any thoughts?
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: Theory in high stakes heads up?

Heads up is like a game of game theory . You try to figure your opponents out before he figures you out . In fact , in the high stakes heads up matches you don't even really need to look at your cards which is a bit of an exaggeration on my part but you get the idea . There is more emphasis on trying to get a read on your opponents betting tendencies than anything else .
Old 09-08-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
higher STAKES heads up to what i am used to, mostly 10/20 NLH

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-09-2007, 05:45 AM

Maybe they think you're scared money and are trying to push you out of your confort zone,

or they are dong it to set up a crazy table image,

or they just suck.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:28 AM

Doyle Brunson's supersystem book recommends this. When you have a flush or straight draw on a flop (8 or 9 outs) push allin. The idea being that most of the time people will fold and that the times you do get called you have won enough small pots to cover the fact that you are getting the worst of it against top pair etc.

My only suggestion would be to find these players who will do this regardless of what's in the pot (they are willing to ignore pot odds), then try and play against them as much as possible. I wouldn't know what the odds are for how often this would occur, but the general tactic would be to see as many cheap flops as possible with a strong K Q or Ace and try to get them to go allin on a draw against top pair. You are about a 2-1 favourite in this situation.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18 AM

I saw that maniacal plays in high stakes. You aren't really on a freeroll like Brunson says when you do this if you play 100BB deep but it makes you unpredictable. However, they PUSH all in on a draw, they don't CALL it unless they are idiots. If they CALL it, then play against them as much as you can and exploit that.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heads up is like a game of game theory . You try to figure your opponents out before he figures you out . In fact , in the high stakes heads up matches you don't even really need to look at your cards which is a bit of an exaggeration on my part but you get the idea . There is more emphasis on trying to get a read on your opponents betting tendencies than anything else .

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is 100% wrong.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:02 PM

Hume , are you on drugs ??

If this is 100% wrong , then the object of the game is to NOT figure your opponent out before he figures you out .

Wow , you're pretty good !!
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
Old 09-11-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for such useful insight. I thought the comment was on. Maybe it isn't a comprehensive view, but heads up it certainly a battle of trying to figure out ranges and tendencies, no question about it.

OP, I assume that other players are perceiving you as too tight, if one after another is doing this. Thus fronm their perspective the Fold Equity together with the outs gives them proper odds to push.

Heads up, you simply have to be willing to stand your ground with less than the nuts. Far less than the nuts if opponents routinely do this.