Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 01:28 AM

Default Overpair on harmless board,did I completely misplay this?

I though my play here was pretty standard,but after talking to a couple of people and getting their input,I'm starting to wonder.

Live $110 buy-in.First level,everybody has around $5000 stacks,blinds 25/50. No reads whatsoever.

2 EP limpers,I'm CO with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] raise to 250,first limper calls,everyone else folds.

Flop 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] EP checks,I bet 450,he calls

Turn 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] check/check

River J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Suits might not be exact,but point is,there was no flush out there

EP bets 1000, I fold. Is this too tight? Like I said,I had no reads,but can't really see how this can be a bluff.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 AM

Default Re: Overpair on harmless board,did I completely misplay this?

Way too tight. Bet the turn. Your right, his bet is almost never a bluff but he can definitely be valuebetting worse.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:02 AM

I don't know why you checked the turn...if he limps/calls preflop and check/calls flop I keep on firing a blank turn. Without previous reads he looks stationish.

I think I only check the turn if I can read his soul and put him on a flopped set, but don't want to juice the pot so I can call a reasonable river bet.

As played I call his river bet...he doesn't have air but at least a pair, he likely puts you on ak/aq that c-bet flop and gave up on turn.

$110 live is essentially a micro right? So river bet can easily be just one pair that you beat.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:26 AM

Honestly,I thought his preflop limp/call and flop c/c screamed of "I have a pair and flopped a set". Agree turn check was weak(love hindsight)but like I said,this is how they all play their sets!! Checks flop/turn.then a pleasecallme bet on river.

Again though,honestly no read on the guy(this is like the 4th hand of tourney)and $110 is pretty standard,wouldn't say it's a micro,there are just too many 2+2'ers that play the multizero buy-ins.....
Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 AM

Yes sets are in his range, but so is 66-88,TT, sometimes JJ, A9, etc. You're seeing monsters under the bed in shutting down on the turn.