Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Number of Rebuy Strategy

In a $4 entry satellite to a $109 entry fee t'ment, how much would most of you be willing to commit in rebuys ($4) during first level(i.e. Bodog qualifier to $100K) to attempt to compete once rebuy period ends?
Old 09-08-2007, 01:41 AM

Default Re: Number of Rebuy Strategy

I'm not a rebuy expert by any means, but when I play them I don't like to put a figure on how many rebuys I'm going to be willing to commit. I believe it all depends on table conditions, and the cards you are picking up. Sometimes I've only had to rebuy once, the one before the tourney even begins, because I'm able to double up a few times with premium hands that hold up.

Other times I've had to rebuy 4 or 5 times in the first 10 minutes because my premium and semi premium hands have been cracked over and over. You have to mix it up in rebuys, you can't just play ABC TAG poker, and I believe that putting a limit or stop loss on how much you're willing to commit can really tie your hands in a rebuy tourney.

But I guess if I had to put a figure for the satelite you're trying to get into, I would say around $20-$24. I would think you would be able to qualify within 2 or 3 tries if you spent up to $24 or so, and this would still put you well below the $109 straight buy in to that 100k tourney. Of course this is assuming you're well rolled to invest $20+ each try.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:07 AM

I've only played in 3 of these. It looks like if you can double up and then add on at break, you are fine is chip stack to compete. I've been trying not to invest more than $12, but again I wanted to see if I was thinking too tight. They start with $1000 in chips and after rebuy period average stack is around $3000.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:57 AM

It's a function of the table, no?

Sometimes it's the Wild West and half the table is pushing and rebuying the whole time. Other times, it's a table full of Dan Harringtons on a tight day and you're shoving against people who'll fold or only show down AA KK or AK.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like if you can double up and then add on at break, you are fine is chip stack to compete.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok then you only have to double up once to be competitive, what's a worst case scenerio for doubling up? If you get your money in with 72o against AA five times in a row preflop as an 88/12 dog you're almost 50/50 to crack them and doubleup. Since this is a worst case, you can probably budget for 5X double rebuys and the addon knowing that you've almost never going to need it if simply try to not get your money in that badly in order to increase the chances of doubling before going through all the buyins.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
table full of Dan Harringtons on a tight day

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2007, 01:23 PM

In rebuy tournaments, I rebuy as much as I have to. In some rebuys, I've made as many as 10 rebuys + add-on. In some, I didn't make a single rebuy all tournament.

You can't set a limit on an amount of rebuys you want to use. Use them as you go.