Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:58 PM

Default 3betting flop on dry board w nothing really

5/45 trny

villain was preety LAG, and i've been agro lately with the big stack. I didn't see how he can have a K there after open limping button, so I thought he was just trying to see if his T is any good, or maybe even doing this with air.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

UTG (t3090)
MP (t3775)
Button (t5530)
SB (t3875)
Hero (t6905)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t200, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t600) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t600</font>, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1400</font>
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: 3betting flop on dry board w nothing really

If villian was a LAG then alarm bells should be going off in your head when he just limps on the button so thats the first reason you shouldn't have raised on the flop, because he probably hit, and if he didn't he probably has something like AA. Not to mention if he did only hit a T he isn't folding because he is loose. I think you are just speweing chips here, its usually best to employ a tight strategy against LAG players, just because you have the big stack dosen't mean you have to bully the table. I used to blow my big stack leads because I did exactly this, having a big stack shouldn't change your play too much, it may change your bet sizes, and your willingness to gamble a little more but overall you should still play solid poker. Your big stack also allows you a cushion to wait for those big hands and eventually stack your opponents.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM

I think that most of the time the button limp is gonna be some marginal hand like suited one gappers or connectors. I almost never give villain credit for a big hand and I tought that Kx+ is def gonna be raised PF.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:01 PM

Its seema like villin could have a pretty wide range to me preflop. I wouldnt discount hands like K8- KT too much. If ur really wanting to get some FE vs QT/K8 type hands i think it might be a better line to callthe minraise on turn and lead any broadway for 1.2Kish. Could be wrong but just a thought. I usually dont try these kinds of plays withut a great read though....
Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 PM

you say "you have been aggressive" If you had Kbig you would have rr pf. So you have Ksmall(which you can be pushed off) or a Ten or air. That's the way a Lag will see you. What else do you play like this 55?

edit And I guess he pushed on you and you folded?
Old 09-07-2007, 07:08 PM

I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish here. Sure, maybe he's got a T or air, but maybe he doesn't, and maybe he calls with a T. Unless you have an absolute rock-solid read, I just don't see why you'd pick this hand to play back at him. I'd like to at least have a pair, a draw, 2 overcards, 1 overcard, something, so that you have a backup plan in case he actually does have a hand. Bluffing into a LAG just seems like a bad idea, especially when you have an aggro image yourself, you're offering him better than 3:1 to call, and you'll be out of position for the remainder of the hand. You can find much better spots.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 PM

As long as villain thinks I have a K, I'm not worried, because I doubt he 4bets here without a K.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't really understand what you're trying to accomplish here. Sure, maybe he's got a T or air, but maybe he doesn't, and maybe he calls with a T. Unless you have an absolute rock-solid read, I just don't see why you'd pick this hand to play back at him. I'd like to at least have a pair, a draw, 2 overcards, something, so that you have a backup plan in case he actually does have a hand. Bluffing into a LAG just seems like a bad idea, especially when you have an aggro image yourself, you're offering him better than 3:1 to call, and you'll be out of position for the remainder of the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that the minraise on this board, after the former PF action usually means "I'm gonna try to see how good is my midpair \ I don't think you have anything". I am giving him good odds, but I think he's folding any non K hand, which was the whole prupose here.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:16 PM

I understand what your intension was, but you would have achieved exactly the same with a simple check/raise on the flop - i think the 3-bet here is not really necessary.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:25 PM

Yeah, C/R is probably better here.

Well, villain tanked and then folded.
Later on he said that he folded Kx but I think he was just messing with me.