Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:56 AM

Default JJ in BB after a squeeze

Villain is 18/15/2.5 but only over 100 hands. Comments on every street appreciated. I felt like river had to be a fold, as my hand kind of looks like what it is and he could reasonably expect me to call I think. What's weird though is he doesn't bet the flop - I would have thought that QQ/KK/AA just leads out here multiway. Perhaps I should bet-fold the flop once SB checks?

NL $3/$6

Hero (BB) $686.10
UTG $567.45
MP $499
CO $579
BTN $903.21
SB $916.39

Preflop: Here is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
1 fold, MP raises $21, 1 fold, BTN calls $21, SB raises $102, Hero calls $102, MP calls $102

Flop ($327): T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks

Turn ($327): 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB bets $162, Hero calls $162, MP folds

River ($651): 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB bets all in $652.39, Hero ?
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: JJ in BB after a squeeze

you played it fine imo. I'd fold the river.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:38 PM

Default Re: JJ in BB after a squeeze

I think fold preflop might be best.

You have JJ, which is good enough under normal circumstances to reraise preflop in a short handed game, but in this case

you have a 114bb stack,

MP has 83bb and raised to 3.5xbb, most likely with a mid-to-high pair, two high cards like AJ-AK/KQs, or some kind of tricky connector,

a deep button overcaller (who could have anything playable other than premium pairs and AK with which he'd reraise),

and a deep SB reraiser who made it 17xbb to go, most likely with something like TT-AA, AK/AQs.

If you call the big reraise, then you still have to worry about the short guy in MP pushing. In which case you'll have to fold. And the only way you might get close to the correct implied odds to call is if MP calls, Button calls, and you expect to get all your money in with a caller and win every time you hit your set on the flop (which is unlikely). As the hand turned out, you managed to get pretty good implied odds of just less than 9:1 to hit your set - but only because you got lucky in the sense that MP didn't reraise and BTN called.

And if you call and miss your set on a low board, your position between SB and MP is not a particularly good one to stand much heat if either starts betting. So you end up in a tough spot, like the one in the OP. But, as played, I think you played as well as possible. Checking the flop is reasonable. Calling the weak turn bet is reasonable. And folding at the river to good.

I think that was an opptomistic call preflop that would have been better played as a fold.