Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Middle Set Big Pot

I've only been in the game a couple orbits, but button is a young guy who's been playing tight, and SB is a tight asian guy.

Horrible player limps, I raise 77, tightish passive guy calls, button 3bets, SB 4bets, limper folds, I call, other guy calls and button calls.

Flop is J75r. SB bets, I call, other guys drops, button raises, SB 3bets, I call, button 4bets, we both call.

Turn is 9 putting up a flush draw. Check, check, button bets, SB calls, I raise, button 3bets, SB folds, what's my play?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Middle Set Big Pot

i'd call down and not be too happy about it
Old 09-06-2007, 06:46 PM

Flop play is interesting. I think I like the original call, since raising may prevent more bets going in, and you like more bets going in. But once SB 3-bets, I think you can start springing to life. SB doesn't have to have JJ here, as his play PF and on the flop looks a lot like AA. Seems like button can have anywhere from AJ to KK to JJ. I think if you spring to life by 4-betting the flop after SB check-raises, then you maintain initiative for the turn. I'd bet the turn and call down a raise from there. You also had a chance to 5-bet the flop and passed on that too, so your passive play is disguising your hand but also giving you as little info as possible. You could be against an AA/KK battle here, with them putting you on some sort of QJs-type hand sticking around hoping to suck out.

The pot's too big to fold a set right now, but the turn feels really tough to me because of the passive flop play.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 PM

id 3 bet. from your description it looks like no one missed a beat, no awkward pause, indicative sometimes of sb/button both holding overpairs (putting sb solely on qq-kk and btn on aa)

if they btn 4bets here id still bet/fold river because the line you took on flop looks extremely weak.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id 3 bet. from your description it looks like no one missed a beat, no awkward pause, indicative sometimes of sb/button both holding overpairs (putting sb solely on qq-kk and btn on aa)

[/ QUOTE ]

reread the hand, button 3-bet. also, how does no awkward pause indicate an overpair but not possibly JJ? actually, how does no awkward pause indicate anything?

[ QUOTE ]
if they btn 4bets here id still bet/fold river because the line you took on flop looks extremely weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

justin just calls on the flop 3 different times then springs to life on the turn by c/r'ing the field and you think his hand looks weak?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:14 PM

I smell overplayed AA. One more raise please. Call a 5-bet. Don't fold.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM

it's a 5bet cap, right?

he didn't 5bet pf so it's not likely a horribly played overpair. i would call down.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 PM

If you win and he's not horrible he has 55 and still somewhat bad. So if we are assuming he isn't horrible its a crying calldown or fold. Seems pretty easy though sure sucks to be hero.

-DeathDonkey
Old 09-06-2007, 08:10 PM

I was under the impression it was a 4-bet cap (except when heads-up).

If it really is a 5-bet cap I'd change my answer.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 PM

you're praying to electrical jesus that button is just trying to protect his hand by 3 betting your turn CR. Just call down. River is CC unless you catch your 1 outer.