Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 05:56 PM

Default FT Bubble Decision..save chips or call?

This is a small 45 ppl tournament on FTP..villian has been fairy tight but seems deperate...SB's flat call was quick and weak I felt.
Full Tilt Poker Game #3481311143: $5 + $0.50 Sit & Go (26597889), Table 5 - 120/240 - No Limit Hold'em - 17:43:14 ET - 2007/09/06
Seat 1: weakretard (5,940)
Seat 2: VILLIAN (3,480)
Seat 3: whocares (2,330)
Seat 4: Royle Bluntson (5,505)
Seat 7: Pooptypooptypants (10,475)
weakretard posts the small blind of 120
VILLIAN posts the big blind of 240
The button is in seat #7
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Royle Bluntson [8h 8c]
whocares folds
Royle Bluntson has 15 seconds left to act
Royle Bluntson raises to 720
Pooptypooptypants has 15 seconds left to act
Pooptypooptypants folds
weakretard calls 600
VILLIAN raises to 3,480, and is all in

Insta fold??..I think so, if it is what can I call with here 10s+?
Old 09-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Default Re: FT Bubble Decision..save chips or call?

I push preflop. I'm guessing I am in the minority.

Sure you can raise fold to a nitty 3better. yeah something like TT+AK.

I personally probably call here, theres just too much in the pot before the push, and thats the rub... If I am highly likely to call a push by either of the blinds, then I would prefer to just push myself. Especially a hand like 88. Maybe my logic is faulty, but I would rather see a hand like KTo in the blinds fold preflop and win the blinds uncontested, then have them push and be forced to call with 88 and now were in a flip where I have a thin edge. I have to win to scoop tho. Pushing gives me two ways to scrape the pot. Winning the blinds here is perfectly fine. Pushing preflop makes their calling range quite tight. Its +EV to push this and turn it face up. If I do get a loose call oh well, coinflip with an edge time. If my opponents know I might be raising hands like 55-99,A5o-AQo and folding them to a push, then they should be pushing on me with quite a broad range, and at this stack size, raising to 720 and having to fold really really sucks.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:52 PM

disagree completely...for these reasons.
The obvious..
240 blinds and 5.5k stack is way to much for a push..wayy to much.
2nd. My UTG, 3x raise shows way much more strength than a push...
with that said..the strength from my hand..the FT bubble on everyones mind, and the tight play of my opponent I'm going to answer my own question and say it is a Fold..
I can find way better spots to put my money in and am a way better player than these 5 dollar SNG players..
I guess the only reason I pushed was bc of the extra money from the SB that enticed me + the hope of racing..

Conclusion:
I called, he had KK..it held..I was down to 12/13 in chips..Fought back and took 3rd..
If I saved my chips instead of calling n hoping to race I probably would have won the tournament bc I was in push/fold for the real Money bubble and the play was so bad..

I think a leak in my game and probably many peoples game is that alot of us DO NOT THINK when we are faced in these decisions..
Most of us posting on this board right now and have played as much as I do have huge advantages over players and sometimes I just rush into spots like this where I "HOPE" I'm racing..when I know I can fold n find better spots.
Hope that helps..helps me and I never even would have known it if I hadn't posted about it and just kept letting this leak go thru my game
Old 09-06-2007, 06:55 PM

i'd fold myself with the SB still to act behind me. If you call and he goes all-in you pretty much have to call and are not in a good situation. also i think you are either a big underdog or a slight favourite here so is it worth it?

and
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 PM

I think this is a spot where your reads become very important. If the villain has been restealing and squeezing at all I’d call, because his range could/should(?) be fairly wide. It looks like a squeeze to me, especially if he has the same read on the SB as you do.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:07 PM

Pushing pre-flop is really really bad. I think I prob fold.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:50 PM

I like the raise pf, but would fold after the rr, you are only ahead of a squeeze player!

But, i think the MOST important thing about this hand is to realise, that we are NOT calling the raise, we are either shoving all in (to get rid of the player to act), or folding to fight another day.

I love a raise/fold>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> raise/shove>>>>>>>>>>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>raise/call