Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 04:12 PM

Default 10-20 plo stars

i dont play omaha at all and have very little understanding of the game. a friend of mine was playing HU and i watched this hand go down. it seemed to me at the time that in an agressive match there is value in raisin this riv.

like cant villain have 88 a5 etc here? arent we only afraid of aa?

i realize a lot of worse hands cant call here and like i said i dunno [censored] about the game, but just was interested to hear some opinions

PokerStars Game #11907143728: Omaha Pot Limit ($10/$20) - 2007/09/06 - 16:02:11 (ET)
Table 'Heze' 6-max Seat #1 is the button
Seat 1: IversonXX3 ($4079 in chips)
Seat 3: Born2DogBaby ($4847 in chips)
IversonXX3: posts small blind $10
Born2DogBaby: posts big blind $20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
IversonXX3: raises $40 to $60
Born2DogBaby: raises $120 to $180
IversonXX3: calls $120
*** FLOP *** [8c 9h Ad]
Born2DogBaby: bets $280
IversonXX3: calls $280
*** TURN *** [8c 9h Ad] [5d]
Born2DogBaby: checks
IversonXX3: checks
*** RIVER *** [8c 9h Ad 5d] [5h]
Born2DogBaby: bets $919
IversonXX3: calls $919
*** SHOW DOWN ***
Born2DogBaby: shows [8h 7s 4h 3s] (two pair, Eights and Fives)
IversonXX3: shows [9d Kh Qh 9s] (a full house, Nines full of Fives)
IversonXX3 collected $2757 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $2758 | Rake $1
Board [8c 9h Ad 5d 5h]
Seat 1: IversonXX3 (button) (small blind) showed [9d Kh Qh 9s] and won ($2757) with a full house, Nines full of Fives
Seat 3: Born2DogBaby (big blind) showed [8h 7s 4h 3s] and lost with two pair, Eights and Fives
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: 10-20 plo stars

I like the flat call. Hands that call your raise are beating you and hands that arent beating you arent calling. Well played.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:21 PM

Flat calling behind on this river is pretty bad. You'd have to be playing an extremely nitty opponent to justify not raising this on the end, and given the way the opponent played this hand (3betting with this hand and bluffing the river), I would think that the read on him is far from nitty.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:31 PM

Wow. This is why threebetting loose is so insanely profitable. Your friend played this terrible.

edit: I am not sure whos who in this game. The one with the FH on the river played it really bad.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM

4-bet pre, raise flop, bet turn, raise river
Old 09-06-2007, 08:18 PM

alright,iam not playin 10/20 deep..but,given the play,and i tend to be more tight than aggressive in 3bettet action,i think the call preflop is fine(i wouldnt 4bet),the flopcall is imo a bit weak,either you put him on aces and fold or you raise here...AND i never ever saw someone playing HU with 3aces checking that turn, sure it CAN put a str8 on the board,but i mean,if you exactely hold 6 7 here,well then i would stack off.
however,given the action you made the most money of him whatever you could on the river,i agree too to the raise opinion but on the other hand, what will call your raise here if you are not beat?i think 8 8 would have bet the turn either,only thing i could think off is A5.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:35 PM

I think that Iverson plays this hand perfectly.

FLOP: Whoever wrote "you either put him on aces or dont" should probably reconsider that statement. That's a ridiculous thing to say for a HU game. You get information by playing past the flop. There is no reason to commit a deep stack just because you flopped 2nd set. The call is obviously an information call and is IMO correct.

TURN: While it's true that most players with AA will continue betting when the 5 comes, a lot of tricky players, especially HU, will check a made hand in that spot (i.e 67 for the nuts) and induce a bet from exactly a hand like 99 or A8, A9 etc that was perhaps uncertain on the flop due to possibly being behind AAxx. That being said, I think Check-Check is fine.

RIVER: The only hand that you are realistically going to be paid off by is A5 or 88. I probably think that 88 keeps on betting the turn so you can probably discount that. So A5 it is. The obvious hand that beats you is AA. A raise is going to be called by A5 and AA obviously. I would personally say that AA is more likely in this situation than A5. This begs the question: why raise? Any other hand that you are beating is obviously folding to a raise.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:45 PM

right,my flopadvice is crap given its HU,but yeah,i just dont think too many players would check this turn with AA or 67,given that a fd draw can take a free card on the turn and make you alot of trouble on the river.if it would be a rainbow board id agree,but not with 2ds aswell and id fire the pot here to 90%+ in this spot if checked to me.river as above.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Yeah, I think iverson's play here is fine/standard. It's not that he's up against AA that much on the river, it's that when he's not against AA, it's usually air. I think villain's usually 3-betting with rundown-type hands when he doesn't have AAxx preflop and is very rarely going to have 88 or A5 for a smaller boat. If he has less than that, he's not calling a raise anyway so it doesn't matter.

The flop play's kinda the same principle. Yeah, you're probably ahead with second set, but it's not a very drawy flop and you're better off giving villain a chance to fire again while exercising some pot control when you are against top set than you are just blindly raising. Really, I like the way your friend played the hand on every street.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that Iverson plays this hand perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]