Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Why Do I always....

start my sezshes out losing? Overall im a winning player. But It just seems that everyday i sit down at the computer to play poker, i get stuck a buyin or two really really quick. The rest of the day is first spent making up for the bad start. Then if things are going well, i pull out a profit for the day. I want to stop losing when i first start. Any suggestions? I try and play nitty poker to start but it still feels like i always start off digging a hole. Any one else do this? I think half the problem is me, maybe im not thinking clearly when i first sit. But i swear if i didnt know any better i would blame my starts on being cursed. Share some knowledge with me
Old 09-06-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Why Do I always....

you probably aren't playing your best game when you start out and have a huge leak.

If you're playing online, use pokertracker. Study the hands from your sessions from start until you get stuck. Betcha there's a huge pattern to your play there that isn't optimal.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:05 PM

you should probably just dont make any moves until you know your opponents. start nitty, analyse and then loosen up if you know the others.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:43 PM

You say you're nitty but if you are a laggy player it's not uncommon to drop a buy in quickly. If you build up the image as a loose player people will call you down with less.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Selective memory. I doubt this is a real pattern beyond the tiny effect of starting out by posting the blinds, which you should make back in the rest of the orbit.

Of course, people will come up with all sorts of reasons and cures whether or not the pattern is plausible, but if you seriously want to analyze this, come up with a definition of a bad start and estimate the probability of a bad start happening to someone with no problem. Then compare this with careful records of your own play. Some definitions of a bad start might happen randomly 80% of the time, which might convince you that you have a problem if you incorrectly assume it would only happen to a normal player 50% of the time.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:22 PM

i feel the same way sometimes. i think part of it selective memory like another poster said. another part (at least for me) is wanting to start off winning and "forcing" things. like making a hero call or getting tricky versus unknowns. not sure if this is any help, i've been making an effort to play more a-b-c poker at the beginning of my sessions and even passing on some marginal spots just to avoid tough decisions. once you settle down in a rythem open up and start using your reads to play your normal game.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:41 AM

start your sessions 30 minutes later - problem solved
Old 09-07-2007, 04:31 AM

you end your session from night before in the flow of the game, with read etc., feel good about picking your spots, and grow accustomed to that feeling, then you wake up the next morning and think you can continue that flow/watever without the necessary reads. solution: start off your session with patience and develop reads and pick your spots..rinse and repeat.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
start your sessions 30 minutes later - problem solved

[/ QUOTE ]