Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM

Default 10NL: Limping Axs in LP and calling raises...

Just starting NL but have played LHE for three years online and have also picked up Sklansky/Millers' NLHTAP, reading 2p2 and am familiar with playing small pocket pairs and the parameters of calling a reraise with'em in NL, ie; stack ratios and such.

Could somebody assist me with a hand like the following when you're holding an Axs. An obvious fold here to every newbie, or is there reason to call by having MP2 continually paying me off? How do the stack sizes come into play?

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $9.70
BB: $6.50
UTG: $2.10
UTG+1: $4.90
MP1: $13.25
MP2: $11.50
Hero (MP3): $14.10
CO: $10.00
BTN: $10.35

Reads: <font color="blue">BB is LA-A at 47.9/6.3/3.13 with 53 hands and MP2 is LP-P 70.2/6.5/.06 with 62 hands. Haven't played against BB in too many hands but BB has limped and called my .50 raise with a Q2o against my AQ and paid me off nicely all the way to the river. I did consider iso-raising MP2 but thought there was more value with the flush if the reat of the table came along. Good? Bad?</font>

CO posts $0.10
Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, MP2 calls $0.10, Hero calls $0.10, CO checks, BTN folds, SB calls $0.05, <font color="red">BB raises to $0.60</font>, MP2 calls $0.50, Hero???
Old 09-06-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Re: 10NL: Limping Axs in LP and calling raises...

Flushes are harder to get paid off than something like a straight or a set. Even bad players will lay down marginal hands when a three flush hits the board and someone wakes up. I generally only try to play these from late position when I can see a cheap flop and have good implied odds.

My first thought in a situation like yours is how likely is BB or MP2 to pay off my flush if they have a top pair/overpair hand or better. I also want to know if it is likely that CO and SB will come along as well, without raising. CO is likely going to fold since they posted. At this level if you called I would think SB will probably see the big pot building and call as well.

I don't really know. There's a big pot brewing and you have a hand that can make a good big pot hand. Would be interested in hearing some more experienced players opinions.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 PM

Don't limp from LP.

Raise that [censored] up.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Flushes are harder to get paid off than something like a straight or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]
But occasionally when they hit a lower flush with you, it's $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 AM

In NL5 flushes were my most profitable hand, since I could draw very cheaply and get paid of well also the chances that someone had a smaller flush are greater since opponents play anything suited and its easy to know where I stand since I'm drawing to the nuts with AXs

In NL10 I don't think this is the case anymore. I'm folding Axs in early position and limping in LP in case there are several limpers and the table is passive (might raise it if I think I can get the pot with a C-bet). I don't like calling any raises with the hand though, since its likely to be dominated which means the ace is no good although I'd also be afraid its dominated in a multi way pot, also its going to be a lot more expensive to draw in a raised pot since the bets will be larger.

I think the initial call is good, since you have reads on the villains and think they will pay you with the second best hands and you have position on them.

The pf raise makes things a bit trickier. You do have position on two donkeys, but BB bets 10% of his stack and if you call the pot will be about $2 and BB will only have $5.9 left, so he is going to be quite committed on the flop if he c-bets and you won't be able to chase a flush cheaply and being aggressive I wouldn't be too surprised if he pushed flop or turn.

If they would be as deep as you I'd definitely call, since both donkeys are in the hand and we have position but I'd probably fold this.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:00 PM

I don't think it is profitable to call here with A8s seen the stack from the BB; if he had like 10 dollars or more you could have considered it. As an aside A8s is plenty enough for me to raise it up... I would probably limp behind with A5s and weaker... Oh by the way never open limp a suited ace, never.... (not that you did so but just wanna mention it).