Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 09:33 PM

Default AQ 3-bets and and turns trips - i stop n go

<font color="blue"> my read on villain is that hes a a semi tagfish, but more passive than aggro. he seems to a pretty good grasp of starting hands, but not betsizing + hand strength, or position. basically seems like a new player who read a couple books but is not aggro enough. runs 21/11/1 over 100ish hands </font>

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.50/$1 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $95.00
Hero (BB): $101.00
UTG: $99.10
MP: $131.45
CO: $49.00
BTN: $127.40

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4.00</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $13.00</font>, BTN calls $9.00

Flop: ($26.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $15.00</font>, BTN calls $15.00
<font color="blue"> this is my standard flop bet after 3betting PF </font>

Turn: ($56.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="blue">Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $17.00</font>, Hero calls $17.00
when he called the turn i felt like his range was mostly TT-KK, and thouhgt he fold almost al those if i bet again, or ch/r'd. and smaller aces are getting it all in on the river anyway right?
i also wasnt afraid of a turned fluh draws becasue the Ah is out, i have the Qh so he cant have KQs, and i doubt this guy is calling a 3bet with aby other sc's - sound ok? </font>

River: ($90.50) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $45.00</font>

<font color="blue"> so what do you guys think? cant decide if i like it or hate it </font>
Old 09-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Default Re: AQ 3-bets and and turns trips - i stop n go

if you feel like his range is pairs between TT and KK, then I agree that this line maximizes value against a somewhat non-brain dead opponent.

nh
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM

You're losing value against AJ but if you're confident your small betting will get looked up light I think you took the right approach.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 PM

do you think AJ is betting that weak on the turn and just calling the river?
i assumed that AJ would shove over a 1/2 pot river bet
Old 09-05-2007, 09:57 PM

I agree but given your description of player its also likely he'd play his trips scared in a 3bet pot. Your river lead is fine as I don't think his bluffing/betting range is nearly as wide as his calling range.

In retrospect how do you feel this hand would have played out had you 1/2 potted each street? Do you see him putting less money in the pot this way (ie. folding QQ-TT on the turn)? Do you think your checking the turn is more +EV because it gives worse hands a chance to bluff?
Old 09-05-2007, 09:59 PM

c/shove turn.

he's not really going to be putting that much more $ in with TT-KK anyways. plus we maximize value vs. weaker aces.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:00 PM

In retrospect I don't think your line is losing value to an A (lets face it you'll get raised if he has one). That said I'd prefer betting to give him a chance to raise, and I think villains calling range is wider on the turn then his betting range.

The more I think about it I think i'd go flop 1/2 pot,turn 1/2 pot, river 1/2 pot, if he's got an ace he'll let you know.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
c/shove turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
this was exactly my intial plan, but he bet the turn so weakly that i thoht he could be betting KK or QQ there and left himself enough behind to fold to a shove. in hindsihgt i prob shouldve just done it anyway.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In retrospect how do you feel this hand would have played out had you 1/2 potted each street? Do you see him putting less money in the pot this way (ie. folding QQ-TT on the turn)? Do you think your checking the turn is more +EV because it gives worse hands a chance to bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

i checked the turn expecting him to check behind actually. and i thouhgt he was way moe likely to call a river bet after a turn check, than call both the flop and turn.
i really didn't expect him to bet the turn with less than Ax, but then he bet super weak so...
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 PM

his turn bet seems like the type that's intended to get to showdown as cheap as possible.

this does not mean that he will fold to a river bet. i still like the way you played it.