Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 08:52 PM

Default Flopped a set OOP, check the turn or is the board too scary?

Thoughts on all streets appreciated. Thanks.

No reads on villain. I'm playing around 15/13.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($49.65)
MP ($23.75)
CO ($57.65)
Button ($69.55)
SB ($57.10)
Hero ($62.70)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, Button calls $5.50.

Flop: ($14.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10.

Turn: ($34.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $33.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $45.7</font>, Button calls $12.20.

River: ($125.65) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $125.65
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set OOP, check the turn or is the board too scary?

There's no need to 3-bet PF, it'll just bloat the pot and make your hand more difficult to play OOP.

Bet the turn. Don't bother with the checkraise unless you have a read on Villain that he is aggro or a habitual floater.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 PM

Readless you are burning money by making your 3bet that big PF. I might occasionally do this if button has been getting out of line and stealing w/ trash a lot and I'm confident he'll lay it down, but mostly I'll call to keep my implied odds better if I flop a set.

Looks like the rest of the hand played itself. Nice execution on the stackadonk line.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:05 PM

I think the turn was perfect. Villain obviously has a strong hand since he called the big PF raise and floated the flop. He's betting the turn somewhere in the vicinity of 98% of the time.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:39 PM

Don't three bet this oop without reads... The rest is perfect!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:43 PM

I would lead turn for 20-25ish. Preflop is fine against unknown button IMO.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 PM

I hope 3 betting here pre-flop isn't standard, but I guess I don't mind doing this occasionally if he keeps trying to steal your BB. I also would raise a bit less, about the size of the pot; that would be around $5 I guess.

I lead on the turn. There's so many draws possible that I don't want to risk giving him a free card. I would definitely be looking to get it all in here on the turn when I lead. If he just calls then I'd push river.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 PM

3b this hand sucks regardless of the opponent/history, especially against an unknown (dont 3b light against unknowns ever). Don't be afraid to play some poker!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3b this hand sucks regardless of the opponent/history, especially against an unknown (dont 3b light against unknowns ever). Don't be afraid to play some poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a terrible play if villain is trying to steal on the button too often, but I'd make this play rarely and never against an unknown.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:05 AM

calling&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;raising against anyone. it's just a really really bad hand to do it with. Think about it. If you get called you miss the flop alot and end up bluffing big with very little equity in the pot against his narrow calling range. it's a terrible spot to be in. Sure, you'll take it down often pf, but it's not worth the risk of the terrible spot you'll be in post flop if you are called. Raising is +EV against a standard tag light btn raiser, but calling is better.

If you call: you've got decent implied odds to hit a set, but you can also c/r his cbet on alot of boards. So you get value from that, and his range is going to be soo much wider post flop if you just call (as opposed to you 3b then him calling), so bluffing will become much more profitable.

it's better to do it with a hand like 87s (even though i prefer calling usually) because it has more potential, you can hit flush draws/straight draws which you can play very aggressively (in the right spots). Maximising your FE, however you will still have decent amount equity in the pot, if you flop a draw (8+ outs as opposed to 2).