Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:52 PM

Default $3/6 Gutshot draw, doubts on every street

Full ring $3/6 Full Tilt. Just a few hands at this table, players are unknown. CO has a short stack of $45, in my experience this probably means it is a bad player.

Preflop: Me BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Folds, CO openraises, BT folds, SB calls, I call

I think my call is too loose. At least one more player is needed to make a call profitable I think.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Pot is 6sb
SB checks, I check, CO bets, SB folds, I call

I have a gutshot here, and maybe 2 live cards. In this pot I call. Would a bet have been better to try to pick up the pot?

Turn: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Pot is 4bb
I check, CO bets, I call

Well, bet/checkraise to protect my possible best hand? Or go to the river as cheap as possible (induce bluff)?

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Pot is 6bb
I check, CO bets, I call

A checkcall gives me the most value I think...

Please comment on all streets.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: $3/6 Gutshot draw, doubts on every street

The call is bad preflop. The cards are ok, but play better multi-way and in position. On the BB you're getting a discount, but it's negated by being out of position for the rest of the hand. Fold preflop.

On the flop, Fold. You've got just a gutshot, nothing else. If no one has a king, MAYBE a 9 helps you here, but just as often it makes two pair for someone or gives them a redraw. 6 bets in, 11:1 odds to hit your hand. To make it worse, the 7 of spades is tainted since it could give someone a flush. If you were calling your 9 and 6 outs good, you've got to dodge the spades there too.

Turn, same as flop. Fold. You've got 1 clean 9 out, 3 clean 7 outs, and maybe outs to two pair. None of this is enough in this slim pot.

River, fold. Now you can't improve, you've got second pair with no kicker against someone who has bet or raised every single chance they've had. Maybe 1 time in 20 you'll catch someone out in a total bluff here, but even then you're not profiting in the long run.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:35 PM

I would agree with Hyperrrprank if this is a non-steal situation.

Even if SB does not play I think your call is fine if you believe CO will steal here with his top 25%. With SB playing I think it is an easy call against a CO steal. You are getting 5:1 and your hand is not likely to be dominated by either player and has decent implied odds. A weak ace would be an easy fold here.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:55 PM

How I play this hand:

Fold preflop. They just ain't good enough.
Fold flop. You don't have the odds.
Bet/fold turn. If he raises, you are toast I think. I could go check/call here as well.
Check/Call river if he calls your bet on the turn, or if you employed the check/call on the turn.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:04 AM

Preflop is a fold, but it's actually pretty close. There are opponents I'd call this against. 97s is an easy call, as is 86s and T7s, so the call can't be too bad.

Flop is certainly a call, as you've got roughly 7 outs, even if you discount for redraws.

Turn I like check-calling best, because I hate folding pairs, I hate calling down if I'm raised again, and checking and calling lets him continue to bluff.

River I also like the check-call, because it lets villain continue to bluff, and it also prevents him from being able to get more out of us with a better hand.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Preflop: I fold but I agree with others who say this close.

Flop: Sometimes I checkraise here if I think it will allow me to steal either now or on the turn. Against an unknown shortstack I think calling is perfectly fine.

Turn: I checkraise here with the probably best hand. I want to charge my opponent to draw to a six out hand like AJ. Plus he may just fold fearing that you have a K. Even if he has a good hand like AK and reraises you still have nine outs on the river.

River: good
Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 AM

About my proflop call: I used pokerstove on this and the call seems about right. I use a 20% range for the CO. The SB range is a little more difficult, but even I use a tight top 6.5% of hands, there seems to be enough equity to call here.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 23.216% 22.97% 00.25% 5606542589 60787699.50 { 9d6d }
Hand 1: 30.238% 29.08% 01.15% 7099948178 281739285.00 { 66+, A4s+, K8s+, Q9s+, J9s+, T9s, A9o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }
Hand 2: 46.546% 45.47% 01.08% 11099884529 262855705.50 { 88+, ATs+, KQs, AQo+ }
Old 09-05-2007, 06:21 AM

I'm fine with the pf call but that's about the only part i like.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:52 AM

Preflop is OK, a little loose. By OK, I assume this means you will play well on every street. I don't like the flop call personally - 7-1 isn't enough to draw here esp. considering a spade could make your opponent a flush or at the very least give him a draw to one. And if he doesn't have a king, you probably get no action - what's your plan calling the flop?

As played, I just call the turn - it doesn't seem like this guy is going to fold and he is probably committing to dusting off the rest of his stack if he has nothing. I would just call and let him bluff the river or bet if I improve.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2007, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is certainly a call, as you've got roughly 7 outs, even if you discount for redraws.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i've been miscalculating outs after all this time. i see NO way we have 7 outs here(unless you are giving us alot of credit for our pair outs). i see 3 outs with a gutshot and mabye another out or two for our pairs.

Dude, did you think we're open-ended?