Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Tv connector from Lap Top

Hi, I have a lap top and it is hard to 3 table and higher. If I get one of those things that I can plug into my TV, and I tile my tables to the smallest, and I get 8 tables or so going, will the tables be big enough so I can see them on the TV

Thanks
Kat
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Tv connector from Lap Top

I play on pokerstars.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I get one of those things that I can plug into my TV,

[/ QUOTE ]

a "cable'

[ QUOTE ]
and I tile my tables to the smallest, and I get 8 tables or so going, will the tables be big enough so I can see them on the TV

[/ QUOTE ]

they may be big enough, but the tv is almost certainly not gonig to have high enough resolution for it to be readable.

a standard definition tv has just 480 vertical pixels; even a full 1080p tv has just 1080 vertical pixels.

by contrast, a decent high res monitor (Dell 2007; 2407; etc) has 1200 pixels vertically.

[ QUOTE ]
I play on pokerstars.

[/ QUOTE ]
gtk
Old 09-04-2007, 09:19 PM

get a new monitor not a new tv (unless you want a new tv)

you'll have to get 1080p just for it to work out (i got 720p and it just doesnt work)

monitor better for poker, be sure to get 1600x1200 res
Old 09-04-2007, 11:21 PM

i have a bomb ass tv. Olevia LCD something and I bought the VGA cable to do this from best buy for $50 and I can only still get 4 tables going. I guess maybe I don't know how to set the resolution but it didn't work for me. Still tight though
Old 09-04-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have a bomb ass tv. Olevia LCD something and I bought the VGA cable to do this from best buy for $50 and I can only still get 4 tables going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether "bomb ass tv" means it is really good or really bad.

However, you'll probably find you'll get a (slightly) better output if you use a DVI/HDMI cable to connect your PC to an LCD screen.

DVI/HDMI adapters are reasonably cheap.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess maybe I don't know how to set the resolution but it didn't work for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

To put it simply, an LCD has a hard wired resolution. It simply has a certain number of pixels. Each pixel can be controlled individually by your input device.

Literally no consumer TV set currently available anywhere in the world is going to have higher resolution than 1920x1080 - because there is no consumer images that are designed for TVs at more than that resolution. Even the high-resolution HD-DVD or Blu-Ray operate at "only" 1920x1080. High-definition digital TV also operates at that resolution.

Since a standard-sized poker window requires 800x600 pixels, you're simply not going to be able to obtain a TV monitor that can produce four tables with no overlap.

With re-sizing, you may find something suitable for your needs, subject to how good your eyesight is, how far away you sit from the screen, how much extra data (HUDs?) is on the screen, and how large the monitor is. The only viable option is check it out for yourself.

One Option To Test Screens
Make a 16:9 ratio screenshot of your poker layout. Take this electronic file to your supplier (you could take it on CD) and insist on testing the image on the screen you're considering to buy.