Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Default Very deep HU versus a maniac

This hand is going to look pretty sucky I think but I am new to HU play and this guy did a very good job of turning me into a calling station!

Villain is playing a 48/48/6 game. He 3 bets every other button raise and is always in a hurry to get as many chips in the middle as possible. He double barrells everything for close to full pot whether it is a single raised or re-raised pot. When he gets 3 bet himself pre he either 4 bets 40%, folds 50% calls 10%. He is obviously spewing all over the place so I have played almost entirely passive and letting him hang himself. He has made some big triple barrells too usually betting close to full pot again if we get to the river. I have been playing him for close to 3 hours and he took 3 buyins off of me before I started my run. He also 4 bet allin pre-flop earlier with 77 which started my run when my TT held. He is very agro on every street.

The game dynamic has changed since I got ahead as he knows I am picking him off. Upto an hour earlier I had checked good hands to him on the river hoping for that big 3rd barrell but he checked a good few down. Since he has been less willing to fire the end big I have started river leading for value and he always tends to fold. When he has looked me up he has only seen me with the goods. He undoubtedly figures me for a calling station.

Full Tilt Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 2 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (BB): $1,347.70
SB: $732.60

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB raises to $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $20.00</font>, SB calls $14.00

Flop: ($40) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $30.00</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $100.00</font>, Hero calls $70.00

Turn: ($240) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">SB bets $200.00</font>, Hero calls $200.00

River: ($640) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $414.00</font>,

I know I have a huge draw but didn't want to put the lot in when he might call me light ...... so I bluff it off instead. (the $414 puts him allin)
Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Very deep HU versus a maniac

Pretty bad.
I don't expect him to believe that you check-called a made hand on the turn.
Your range is either KJ or busted draw and the latter is much much more likely.
Either c/r allin on the turn, or give up on the river.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:09 PM

cr turn?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point but I have been check-calling made hands on the turn for most of the match. That is how I built my stack by letting him have his head and picking him off. This line of check/call flop and turn then lead river is how I have played for the last 150 hands or so. Not trying to justify the play but it is keeping in line with how I have played up to now with my strong made hands just for lots more money this time.

I still think check-raising turn is perhaps a better line but is trying to hit one of my 15 outs before committing terrible this deep against such an aggressive player?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:17 PM

Wrong forum. Reraise more preflop. Fold turn. Check-fold river.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:24 PM

How is this the wrong forum. Is it not standard to post this type of hand in midstakes with &gt;$700 effective stacks?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point but I have been check-calling made hands on the turn for most of the match. That is how I built my stack by letting him have his head and picking him off. This line of check/call flop and turn then lead river is how I have played for the last 150 hands or so. Not trying to justify the play but it is keeping in line with how I have played up to now with my strong made hands just for lots more money this time.

I still think check-raising turn is perhaps a better line but is trying to hit one of my 15 outs before committing terrible this deep against such an aggressive player?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you checked made hands on such a drawey board and you weren't that deep that time.
Since you are going to bluff if missed, better put the money in right now.
If you intend to give up on the river, but sure he will pay you off if you hit, then you can call.

Actually, i think turn is much closer to a fold than c/r allin, how comfortable you'll be on the river if you hit your overs and not a spade?

You said, he started to give you respect more and more lately, so i doubt he does it with air.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:34 PM

I was planning on giving up UI on the river but that king looked sooo tempting especially as I had re-raised pre.

I can see a turn fold being &gt;&gt;&gt; better than a call though with the CRAI perhaps a close 2nd as I think he has air here quite a lot. He really was super agro.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM

So, what did he snap call you with?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, what did he snap call you with?

[/ QUOTE ]