Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 12:57 AM

Default Literary Value of the Bible

Hey all,

First time in SMP.

Background: I am taking a historical literature course on the bible. Although the focus of the class is largely on the methodology of the various interpretations/editions of the bible and how the text has been reinterpreted and falsified, a sub-focus is on the literary value of the text itself (specifically the King James version and its effect on western lit).

I don’t wish to engage in any dogmatic literalist discussion; I have never been tied to any religion and I am not a Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc. Although I have not read the entire bible, I have read the Torah, the Gospels, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Psalms, and Revelation. I have read, with equal enjoyment, books of other religious faiths: the Quran, the Upanishads, and several Buddhist sutras.

I have mainly read Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs b/c I have been told by many Christian friends that these books contain a lot of the bible’s beauty/wisdom.

We finished reading John, and although I was told it had the most romantic vision of Jesus, I wasn’t too impressed with the passages. There were a few that were good, one was:

18:11 – Then said Jesus unto Peter, Put up thy sword into the sheath: the cup which my Father hath given me, shall I not drink it?

So, my question for those who have read the bible, what books are generally offered as containing the most beautiful wisdom and where are the passages that edify us and best express the morality of God?

I know much is contained in Proverbs and Psalms and I will probably be reading those again soon.

Thanks

RJ
Old 09-03-2007, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Literary Value of the Bible

[ QUOTE ]
I have mainly read Psalms, Ecclesiastes, and Proverbs b/c I have been told by many Christian friends that these books contain a lot of the bible’s beauty/wisdom. ... So, my question for those who have read the bible, what books are generally offered as containing the most beautiful wisdom and where are the passages that edify us and best express the morality of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

See your OP. End of thread.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:12 AM

I may not entirely understand your intent, but St. Paul had at least as much influence on specific moral doctrine as any Bible author. So you definitely want to read him if you are trying to understand the cultural impact of Christian thought.

As far as literary value, really only the Psalms come to mind. The Bible never struck me as great literature to be honest.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 AM

My all time favorite book was Kings. I grew up on the King James version, but I think the story of Solomon reads better with a newer version ( just my preference ). But reading about Solomon was like reading Mario Puzo’s, The Godfather. This dude knew how to eradicate enemy’s and consolidate power.

For example, ( and this is a paraphrase from a very long ago reading, so I may be wrong ) - King David was coming home one day from a military excursion, when suddenly, someone on the side of the road threw a rock at him. David’s guards were on this man immediately and were prepared to kill him when David road up and questioned the man. The man apologized and told David that he was opposed to David’s governmental policies. David excused the man and allowed him to live. Young Solomon witnessed the whole occurrence.

Then, when David was on his death bed, he explained to Solomon exactly what he needed to do when he was king, but for some reason, David explained to Solomon not to take action against this fellow who was a political activist.

However, as soon as David was dead and Solomon was king, this one fellow was one of very many who were quickly put to death.

Also, the books of Samuel are a fantastic read. Very poignant is the story of David and Bathsheba and how David craftily murdered his lover's husband. Also, how David managed to gain power in the first place and convince the populous that they would be better off with a king then with the old way of doing things - Judges.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So,.. ...where are the passages that edify us and best express the morality of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

This may sound pedantic, but you might want to clarify whether you are looking for passages that best express the contradictory morality of the God character as circularly definined, or the passages with moral messages that are the most artfully written, appropriate, meaningful, and applicable today.

I think you may be intending the latter, and they would be largely independent of the former.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So, my question for those who have read the bible, what books are generally offered as containing the most beautiful wisdom and where are the passages that edify us and best express the morality of God?

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal favourite:

Deuteronomy 29:19
'If anyone should think to himself, "I will do well enough if I follow the dictates of my heart,"...'

Deuteronomy 29:20
'...Yahweh will not pardon him. His wrath shall burn against him.'

'And all the curses written in the book will come upon him.'

'Yahweh will single him out for misfortune and blot out his name from under heaven.'

http://www.thebricktestament.com/the...s/dt29_19.html
Old 09-03-2007, 09:47 AM

I would say that only a few parts of the bible have literary values. But all of its parts are interesting from an anthropological viewpoint.

There are much older and more interesting literature around!