Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 08:26 PM

Default OESD in 3bet pot

Hello,

im really not sure what to think about this hand.
The table was really tight its not my normal play to raise 89s from utg+1.

Also I have been stealing pretty frequently.
Villain was 35/20/9 over about 55 hands.

Total spew?

If he has JJ-KK i think villain could lay it down here.
If i raise a normal amount he is commited so i decided to push.

Should I just have folded?

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($25.05)
UTG ($25.30)
Hero ($31.30)
CO ($6.95)
Button ($29.60)
SB ($19.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.85</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $2.1</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1.15.

Flop: ($4.35) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $29.3 (All-In)</font>, SB calls $14.50 (All-In).

Turn: ($39.35) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($39.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $39.35

Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Re: OESD in 3bet pot

Fold preflop.
I dont know this is weird, because you gotta push or call here. Raising is not an option because you gotta call if he pushes :/. I dont know, i might just call here, dont get too fancy.
But i think your biggest problem was the call preflop.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM

fold preflop, even with him raising 20% of his hands that range is crushing your hand. Thats what makes this bad, he didn't just call the raise he rr
Old 09-01-2007, 09:55 PM

fold preflop: suited connector in a rr pot is no good.
flop: you don't have enough folding equity to push an oesd. I'd only push a combo draw here (gutshot+FD), or nut flush draw (if no ace on board and i think my ace is an out)... oesd not good enough for me...
Old 09-01-2007, 10:30 PM

By stealing do you mean just stealing blinds or 3-betting quite a bit yourself? What's your table image? Has the villain been 3-betting a lot?

Villain seems very aggro and probably has a large 3-betting range -- any votes for a 4-bet?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:03 PM

Wow, this is a bold move. I mean if you are gonna' make this kind of move with an OESD, then this is the place to do it, right? You have fold equity against JJ-KK and a redraw to the nuts.

That being said, the question is do we really wanna' do this? I broke the answer into two parts:

PART I – SHOVE IT AND LOVE IT

I am not 100% sure of the calculations below as I am not a statistical wizard, but let's see if we can represent this mathematically:

Let’s start with the assumption that we are going to get called. If we assume that he has the extremely tight range of TT+ then we are ~7:3 dog to hit our straight by the river. So assuming that he calls, we are risking $17.50 to win $21.85 (his $14.50 plus the $7.35 in the pot). So the play itself has an EV of &lt;$5.70&gt; per hand.

Now let’s add in the bluff potential. If we bluff and are successful then we win $7.35 for each successful bluff attempt.

So if I understand this situation correctly, our bluff needs to be successful slightly less than 1:1 in order for this make up for our &lt;$5.70&gt; EV per hand with our straight draw.

So do we think that we will fold out this hand 50% of the time? Unfortunately I did all of this cool (and quite possibly wrong) math and I cannot answer this question haha. Obviously TT and AA are going nowhere. JJ-KK are more likely to drop. There are 12 combos of TT and AA to the 18 combos of JJ-KK. So a 2:3 ratio of “calling”:”folding” hands. Based upon this, I think we make this play.

I want to stress again I am not 100% sure about this math and I would definitely welcome any corrections from more experienced statisticians. Also, if anyone thinks that I am overestimating a 25NL villains ability to drop JJ-KK to a shove please say something.

PART II – I’M WEAK-TIGHT LIKE THAT GIRLY MAN STUDENT CAINE SO I JUST WANNA’ CALL

Now what what if we decide that we want to go ahead and just call to try and hit our straight? We have 6-8 outs to our straight (let’s hope he doesn’t have JJ). If we assume that JJ is less likely than TT, QQ+ (which it is) then we can give ourself the full 8 outs. So we are going to call $3 for the chance to win $7.35; so the pot is laying us odds of ~7:3. In reality, the pot needs to be laying our 8 outer ~5:1 for this to be a profitable call.

Based upon this, we will need to be able to get another $8 out of the villain by showdown if we hit on the turn. On the turn, the pot will be $10.35. If he has AA or TT getting another $8 will not be a problem. If he has JJ-KK then extracting the $8 becomes a little more problematic, but I still think we can get there by the river as we can throw in smallish bets on the turn and river to elicit calls from villain ($3 turn bet and $5 river bet?).

CONCLUSION

Given the two options, I really think that the two plays are about equal in profitability, but they both look like that profitability is slim. The problem is if we have a stubborn villain who is not gonna’ drop JJ-KK for anything, then we will never get that fold equity we so badly need to make Part I make sense.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 PM

I don't see anything wrong with a flat call. If you want to bluff at it and get him to fold JJ-KK, you can do that on the turn cheaper if/when he checks. Overall, I think your equity is higher for this move.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Just call. Your implied odds are great here, and you have more FE against his pairs by calling the flop and betting the turn if he checks. The stacks are a bit awkward and shoving looks kind of FOS here.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:11 AM

Not sure I like this raise. I mean fold equity is good against JJ-KK and he will probably cbet this with those hands but once you shove you kind of make the hand much easier for him to play correctly then difficult.