Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 07:50 PM

Default Moving up to high stakes mtts...

Ok so my BR is not exactly ready to consistently play the high stakes mtts (which I define as $22 rebuys and $75+ freeze outs), but ive been grinding the mid stakes mtts for this past year with some very consistent success and want to gradually start playing more of the bigger buy in mtt's... mainly the sunday majors, and maybe a few times a week either the nightly $150's or $22 rebuys on stars and full tilt.

My bankroll is hovering around the 8k mark right now, so following proper BR management of 200 buyins for any mtt suggests that I should be playing mtts up to a $40 buy in.

And while grinding satellites is one option and something I do play day to day, sometimes grinding the sat's can be kind of a struggle and take a toll on you. For example, the only sats they have for the nightly $150's, only run that day a few hours before they start. And if you win a seat early and continue playing through, you could be in a for 7-8+ hour session if you can get deep.

Just want to know what you all reccomend for taking shots and how frequently I should be playing these high stakes mtt's?
Old 09-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Moving up to high stakes mtts...

Play all the satellites you can, and put sessions in when you can play tons of tables of them.

I'm going to suggest playing the Sunday Warm-up, FTP Mulligan or UB 200k as the main tournaments you Satelite into because they are all extremely soft, and also don't require near a ridiculous bankroll like the million/750.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 PM

For the nightly 150, Stars has a very soft 3r turbo that is around 5PMish and takes approx. 2hours.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:57 PM

If you win a seat in a satellite you could unregister and have T$, which you could use to play more $40 tournaments per your "200 buy-in" bankroll rule. That's what I never understood about satellites. You're still essentially buying in directly when it's all said and done.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM

My bankroll advice would be to do 100x average buyin, with a spread of roughly 50x-200x, which puts $215s just outside your range. I think playing them is fine as long as you play the softest ones like timex suggested, and supplement them with lower buyin stuff, which includes sats, but I also mean stuff like playing 27/45s during the million.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM

I know I'm not a massive baller or anything, but I really think people in this type of spot should consider doing stars for FPP's and using 13500 to take a shot at the million every week or every couple weeks, however fast you build up FPPs. The conversion to cash on the 13500 to 215 is quite good compared to the low FPP cash conversions you can get, and the Million you need a ridiculous bankroll for, sure, but if your freerolling into it and are highly EV, this is a good way to take shots in my book.

4Card
Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 AM

A good MTT player has a ITM% of about 20+% and should be able to have 100 buyins at the level they play - 200 buy-ins seams to much.

I always consider a re-buy as 5 times the rebuy value so a $20 rebuy is the same as a $100 freeze.

With 8K you should play tournaments with $20-120 buyin Fz and $10-20 Rebuy to try and get an average of $80 buyin. The lower end to mostly make money and the higher end tornaments to mostly gain experience to play against better players.

As your bankroll grow you should have both the money and the experience to play higher buy-in tournaments.

A good ITM% is 20+% and a good ROI is 25+%. If you can make both of them you will continue to play higher and higher buy-in tournaments.