Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 01:26 AM

Default When to resteal from light raisers?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t3140)
CO (t1565)
Button (t965)
Hero (t1230)
BB (t2140)
UTG (t2225)
MP1 (t2235)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t300</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1230</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t930.

Flop: (t2560) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t2560) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t2560) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t2560

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Jh Qh (two pair, queens and jacks).
Hero has Qd 5c (two pair, queens and eights).
Outcome: MP1 wins t2560. </font>

Is this call standard? Or was I just unlucky enough to run into a bad player? He had been raising several hands preflop and was rarely played back at. I didn't think he would be able to call half of his stack with queen high, but he instacalled. Should I expect people to call here? It's frustrating to read someone correctly and lose to what looks to me like a theoretically incorrect call.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: When to resteal from light raisers?

But he was sooted.

Seriously, I don't care what he's raising with, I would never even call, much less push, Q5 over an early position raiser in this situation.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:10 AM

Do with it a hand that has some equity when called in spot where villain has a wider opening range.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:18 AM

Have you seen him raising and folding?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:36 AM

Buy-in? Any two broadway will often raise-call AI here in the lower buy-ins because they think it's a great hand.

I'd play back with a better hand that's more likely to be ahead/not dominated - Q5o is just below average and those 2 cards don't work well together. If you haven't seen him pushed off before, you don't know much at all about his calling range. Has he cold/limp-called any pushes yet? Folded to many?

You're pretty short compared to him also, so he gets OK pot odds to call with no risk of busting. Loose-aggro players at lower buy-ins often call loose in this situation, IME.

If he's playing position, you could wait until he's CO/button and more likely to have a weak hand - but if he understands position he knows you might resteal light, so it might not help that much if he likes to call loose.

If he doesn't play position, his position doesn't affect his range and he won't understand that you should be pretty strong to push over an earlier position raise anyway.

Note him (whole hand) and note any thinking players at the table with "saw me resteal AI Q5o SB against LAGgy MP raise 7-handed, 12.3BB=100". It may stick in their minds/notes for the future, which may affect your profitable restealing range against them (and make "resteals" with monsters more profitable).
Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 AM

Whenever possible, make notes of players who raise/fold. Include relevant information like blinds, their stack size, their raise amount, etc - And then own them when you pick up on their patterns
Old 09-01-2007, 08:08 AM

I had some funny situations in a $10 sng in the pokerroom-network a few days ago..I was playing 8 tables, when I misclicked and called a RR from from 2 earlyposition-raisers..I don`remember exactly the situation, but the 1st raiser raised to 90 and an the other to 210.
I had 107s and went allin on a flushdraw+str8-draw with a medium-stack (1300) on the flop. The RR had AA..After that, the hole table tilted and called me down with mid-connectors and suited cards when I went allin [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I won the SNG in the end and had a funny conversation with 2 of them afterwards when they looked my stats up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] They couldn`t believe that I was a winning-player..They called me several things before they looked me up on sharkscope and saw that I had a 20% roi (with mtts). After that, they called me a genious, because they thought I was playing like this, to tilt people