Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2007, 12:50 AM

Default live 6/12-UTG limp 3-bets my QQ in the SB, now what?

Friday Afternoon, 8 handed, and I'm surprised to see three 20 year olds and 6 white guys on the table (an unusual demographic in a Bay Area card room). I've been here for ~2 orbits, so my reads are limited.

20ish Korean-American frat boy who says smart poker-like things limps UTG. Old loose passive white guy limps MP. Middle aged white dude who has been loose PF, but seems decent post-flop calls in the cut off. I raise QQ in the small blind. BB folds, frat guy 3 bets, call, call, I 4 bet, frat boy caps (5 bet) everyone calls.

Flop: 223 rainbow
I bet, frat boy raises, fold, fold, I call.
Turn: 6 completes rainbow
I check, frat boy bets, I call
River: A
I pause and then bet...

Comments?
Old 09-01-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: live 6/12-UTG limp 3-bets my QQ in the SB, now what?

I don't 4-bet preflop since this move is very often AA - unless you have seen him do this with many other types of hands and/or he's quite laggy pre. With a 5-bet cap, I definitely don't 4-bet this.

As played,do you think there is a good chance you're ahead on the flop? Seems unlikely. I probably check since getting raised doesn't do much for you unless you're winning and need to protect your hand. If you think that might be the case (bc he's laggy pre), I guess betting is ok.

River I don't like - you either get raised or he shrugs and calls KK. Do you really picture him having calling and you win more than half the time or folding better?

Jeff
Old 09-01-2007, 02:34 AM

pf meh. Flop bet is just terrible. River bet/fold is better than c/c but with this much action you could probably just c/f; you don't really beat anything and if there were ever a card that would make him check down another PP that's it.
Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM

PF I like just calling his limp RR here in the SB with QQ. It all too often is AA or KK.

I don't bet this river either.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:00 PM

If that's the Korean frat boy I think you're talking about (the tall kid who talks A TON at the table), then you gotta call him down.

I think I might have been at the table for this hand...what time did it occur yesterday, and on which table? I am 25 and white, so....

As for the actual hand, after you 4 bet and get capped preflop, I'd just call him down. I don't see any way he's folding on the river here, so I'd check and hope for a free show down.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:09 AM

Okay, I spew. Thanks for the comments. Frat boy thought a long time, hemmed and hawed about calling. Don't know if he was hollywooding, but he called with KK. Many of you were correct. He limp, reraised with KK. Hopefully, I won't get fooled again.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:14 AM

I'm almost sure I was at your table for this hand. Did he make a comment preflop about "I should have raised it" and then once you raised something like "Well good, now I can" or some such?

Pathetically, I have no memory of what you looked like whatsoever.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:20 AM

OK I'm mistaken. I did, however, see this exact same thing happen earlier in the evening on table 3, with a kid who definitely fits the "korean frat boy" tag calling reluctantly with KK when an ace hit the felt on the river. Odd.