Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 AM

Default Straight on a paired board

Villain is tight and superpassive over 100 hands 20/0/.7

I probably should have bet more on the flop to drive out a lone A or Q but no twopair or set is folding anyway I presume.

On the turn I'm ready to fold to a big raise, but what's the move on the river when he checks?

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $190.88
BB: $127.71
UTG: $158.16
CO: $164.75
Hero (BTN): $193.85

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (5 Players)
UTG calls $2.00, CO calls $2.00, <font color="red">Hero raises to $10.00</font>, SB folds, BB calls $8.00, UTG calls $8.00, CO calls $8.00

Flop: ($41) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4 Players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6.00</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $16.00</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $16.00, CO folds

Turn: ($79) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $22.00</font>, UTG calls $22.00

River: ($123) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero ?</font>,
Old 08-31-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Straight on a paired board

I'd bet about $70, if he pushes you are almost certainly beaten (though I'm not sure I could fold). There is a ton of stuff you are beating though.

I'd bet more on the turn to make it easier to get it all in on the river, and before that probably raise more on the flop.

Just reread that he's tight, AA/AK both reasonable given that read, KJ/KT would almost certainly not call your pf raise. I still think $70 is about right.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:14 AM

Default Re: Straight on a paired board

Flop &amp; turn plays are very bad, you're not raising nearly enough. You're offering about 5:1 on a coldcall, let alone what the donkbettor would be getting. I wouldn't be suprised if naked Aces called to draw to a straight.

Sets &amp; two pair won't fold, you're right. But that's not a reason to not bet more, in fact that's precisely why you should bet more -- the more they will call, the bigger mistake they will make, and that is your goal in no-limit. To get your opponents to make the biggest mistake possible.

Given how you have under-repped your hand, I can't see ever folding now. But you should never ever play the flop &amp; turn like this in the future.