Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 04:40 PM

Default NL CASH C-Bet %

I C-bet the flop 56% of the time. Is this too low?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: NL CASH C-Bet %

Remember that with each opponent you may have to change this number .

Also when you hit the flop you should be c-betting almost always . That already consists of 33% bets .

The other 67% of the time when you miss , you should be c-betting hands that you still think may be best . So depending on how often your opponent calls your raises and how often you raise , this percentage may be different .

Anything higher than 66% imo starts to become a bit too high. Again this may be subject to change depending on the opponent but I'm probably c-betting around 50-60% of the time .
Old 08-31-2007, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The other 67% of the time when you miss , you should be c-betting hands that you still think may be best . So depending on how often your opponent calls your raises and how often you raise , this percentage may be different .

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. You shouldn't be cont-betting A-high just because you think it might be good, you need to have other reasons for doing so.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:21 AM

There's no set percentage, at all. It really depends on three things (or more): the villain's general calling range (A villain who calls way too wide should obv be c-bet less, but you might be able to value bet AK high or the like on dry boards against this opponent sometimes so be aware), the villain's CURRENT state of mind in this particular hand (Is he steaming? Don't c-bet light. Has he tightened up for some reason, c-bet lighter.) and the board texture (This is a concept I myself am trying to learn, I read that boards like K72 rainbow with few draws are best for c-betting... I try to intuitively guess what boards villian is afraid of when checked to me).

I don't like a set precentage, against some opponents I'll c-bet when I miss almost 100% of the time, others I'll almost never c-bet unless I hit the flop somewhat (although "hitting" may be 2nd pair no kicker if villain is a total station).
Old 08-31-2007, 02:32 AM

IP, in HU, if you don't make a c bet, you should make a delayed c bet (waiting till turn IP) unless you have a showdown value like ace high but even then I prefer to bet at the turn. I am one of those players who TJ Cloutier says "can't stand two checks".

60% seems too low.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:50 AM

I often check behind w/ medium strength hands and on boards where I wiff completly and are likely to have hit my opponents range
Old 08-31-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I often check behind w/ medium strength hands and on boards where I wiff completly and are likely to have hit my opponents range

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, hands like bottom pair and ace high can be checked to the river until the board does not get too scary.

There was a lot of discussion about c bets in NL cash forums, but HU it is different. HU, people play all kind of hands and it is not so unlikely that someone plays any ace, almost any king OOP. So there are not a lot of safe flops and there are not a lot of scary flops. You can't put your villain on a range as well as you can in full ring games so you pretty much have to bet a lot. In cash games, if someone called your raise, it is more likely that he called it with JTs than A7o. In HU, both hands are normal so we can't say with such a degree of certainty that A72 flop is safer than JT9 flop to c bet at.

Also, I hate talking about % of c bets. You should pick your spots due to the villain tendencies, your image, his state of mind - is he steaming, will he playback and so on... Talking about % is what robots do and robots don't win a lot in HU play.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In cash games, if someone called your raise, it is more likely that he called it with JTs than A7o. In HU, both hands are normal so we can't say with such a degree of certainty that A72 flop is safer than JT9 flop to c bet at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can. With the A72 flop there are only three cards that connect with the flop, the A,7, and 2. On the JT9 flop there are five (Q,J,T,9,8), six if he'll peel with the king.

Furthermore, opponents are still significantly more likely to call pre with queen, jack, ten high than they are with seven high.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In cash games, if someone called your raise, it is more likely that he called it with JTs than A7o. In HU, both hands are normal so we can't say with such a degree of certainty that A72 flop is safer than JT9 flop to c bet at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you can. With the A72 flop there are only three cards that connect with the flop, the A,7, and 2. On the JT9 flop there are five (Q,J,T,9,8), six if he'll peel with the king.

Furthermore, opponents are still significantly more likely to call pre with queen, jack, ten high than they are with seven high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I get that. I just wanted to say that we can't narrow villain's range down so much as in cash games so that we have to take even more stabs at pots in HU and that 60% seems too low.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagree. You shouldn't be cont-betting A-high just because you think it might be good, you need to have other reasons for doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course you need to have other reasons for doing so . In most cases , you will win a high percentage of the time when you make a c-bet with a-high on a non threatening board . On the other hand , there are many times when you may opt to check ace high hands because you think your percentage of winning with a delayed bet is even higher .

It definitely becomes exploitable if you always check the flop when you miss and bet when you hit . In order to balance your strategy , it's often times a good idea to bet with only ace high on the flop .