Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 05:35 PM

Default IE Stops Working, please help

There are two computers at my house, they are connected to the internet via a LinkSys wireless router, and have been for about 6 weeks. About a week ago they both started having a problem where IE would work for a minute or two, and then just stop. I can't connect to any page. I either have to wait it out (which could take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes) or click on the LinkSys icon in the system tray and then click "repair." This disconnects the wireless system, then reconnects it, allowing me to use IE again. If I just wait it out (instead of repairing), there is no signal that I'm able to use IE again, I just have to keep hitting refresh until it "catches."
Here's the thing that I don't get though. If I'm playing poker or typing on AOL IM, I can keep going with these even if the IE won't respond. There isn't a slow down or anything. If I try to open a new table though and IE isn't responding, it won't open. Since this is happening on both computers, I don't even know where to start. Please help.

Ryan
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: IE Stops Working, please help

Sounds like Windows won't allow any new outgoing connections to be established when it thinks the network is unavailable. Make sure your wireless card's manufacturer-provided drivers and utilities are installed, then turn off "Let windows manage wireless networking"(or whatever the exact caption is) in the wireless network advanced properties.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Hmmm, I don't know how to do the first suggestion and I can't find the button/option/tab for the second suggestion.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:15 PM

Ok, well if that's how much work you're prepared to put in, I'm done helping here. Good luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:39 PM

My response might have been a bit short, but I lost my connection and had to restart my computer and then retype. This is very frustrating. Sorry.
How do I make sure all of the drivers and utilities are installed? If they are, how do I turn off the "Let windows manage wireless networking" caption? I checked some advanced properties, but I must have been in the wrong area.
Thanks.