Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 07:22 AM

Default SNGEGT

Hi all,

I've just started using SNGEGT. I was wondering do most players factor in a margin of error when pushing hands?

For example, giving that you are always guessing ranges, do you have a minimum (say 0.3 plus EV) +EV before pushing?

Thanks,
SC
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Re: SNGEGT

No not really. This would mean that you expect them to call looser than you think. Just work on your skill putting people on ranges.

Every +EV situation even just by 0.0001 is still making you money in the lon term WHEN you put people on roughly the correct ranges.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:07 AM

If you just play plus 0.3 EV situations you give up value. The only good think about this is that variance might go down, but your ROI will drop.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you just play plus 0.3 EV situations you give up value. The only good think about this is that variance might go down, but your ROI will drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. If you start taking small edges like in your previous post .00001% type stuff, you're brining more variance into your game for a tiny bit of +EV. This means you often won't be around for the next hand where you may have had a .7% push.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. If you start taking small edges like in your previous post .00001% type stuff, you're brining more variance into your game for a tiny bit of +EV. This means you often won't be around for the next hand where you may have had a .7% push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that was the essence of my question. How thin do we want to push? I'm thinking as CL we don't mind thinner advantages as we have greater FE and should tighten players ranges but as short and middle stacks we should forgo slim calls for better spots?

Thanks for your replies.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM

I never really bothered worrying about it.

The better your competition, the thinner the edges you should take. The bigger the blinds the thinner the edges you should take. Error affects your min edge. For example some hands if your ranges are too tight even slightly your EV plummets. In others it makes much less of a difference. These types of errors are also compounded when you have to push through multiple players.

Basically at smaller stakes games(16s and lower) you can forgo a lot of small edges(0-.2 or .3%) because you gain a lot of equity from all the morons going to town with eachother and stuff.

I never really tried to quantify what minimum edge you should have in certain spots and so far as I know nobody else has either. Those who have bothered haven't come up with any definitive answer either, just speculation.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that was the essence of my question. How thin do we want to push?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I think you'll want to study ranges to get an idea of the +/-. For instance there was a recent AQ calling hand on here where at best it was +.3% and at worst it was like -10% and it was only +EV if the guy was pushing over 60%. So you kind of start saying to yourself, "ok if I'm wrong on his range how bad will this be?" and take that into consideration. The very thin pushes/calls that are near +.1% at best can get extremely ugly if you're off on their ranges but also sometimes being off won't make a huge difference.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:53 AM

Also, when your stack is in danger of reaching a point where you will soon have no FE, it's good to take lesser edges to stay afloat, since this has a positive affect on future pushes.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:16 PM

Has anyone else played a decent amout of games with the heads up trainer? I've been playing and would like to compare results?