Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:53 PM

Default All in reraise question

Ok, this came up today during a ST 9 plyr SNG. Early in the tournament, 2 players double or more up, 1 player out, and 1 player down to his last 500 about 11 hands in. The one player down to 500 in chips just had his kings cracked so I figured right that he was on tilt. He pushes all in for 550 UTG, CO calls, I push all in for 1710 with aqs. CO blows his top because I didn't let him in the hand (why he folded pot committed I'll never understand). His reasoning was 2 hands to knock off the one. My view was that committing half my stack already to call, I wanted to be HU if at all possible or have no decisions if it wouldn't be. Any opinions, analysis welcome.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:06 PM

Default Re: All in reraise question

decent play...
too early for implied collusion
Old 08-29-2007, 10:32 PM

That was part of my thinking as well, if I just call and this guy beats me, I'm down to 500 chips with 7 plyrs left which leaves me dead in the water.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
figured right that he was on tilt. He pushes all in for 550 UTG, CO calls, I push all in for 1710 with aqs. CO blows his top because I didn't let him in the hand (why he folded pot committed I'll never understand).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the important thing here is having a general idea of what the CO's calling range was when he called, and also what you think his calling range is once you push.

The CO probably should have 3-bet to isolate if he liked his hand enough to just call. This is most likely a donk who's confused, or someone looking for action with AA or KK.

With AQ and your read you're likely to be at least somewhat ahead of UTG's range, but the CO is read dependent. What is he calling with here that (a) you're ahead of, and (b) that you're beating but that he'll fold to your push with getting decent odds to call.

My guess is that he was goofing off with KQ or AT or something.

EDIT:

Only 11 hands in to the SNG, without any real read, I'd ditch the AQ here because of the CO's call and the relative size of the all-in. You should be behind his calling range and I don't think you're better than flipping, if you're not dominated.

If it were a $200 call, it's a different problem. As is you might have to risk your tourney life here with a marginal hand for the spot. You're not beating much of the CO's holdings.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 AM

My read here was that CO also knew that UTG was tilting and could have been calling with any 2 faces, small pair, ssc even figuring that at worst case he was facing a small off suit ace (which he would have been) With that range in mind reraising all in would be enough to scare him unless he had decided he was pot committed.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:30 AM

Calling would have been bad. It's a push or fold spot.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 AM

true newbie question, what does CO mean?
Old 08-30-2007, 02:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
true newbie question, what does CO mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cutoff. It's the seat to the right of the button.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My read here was that CO also knew that UTG was tilting and could have been calling with any 2 faces, small pair, ssc even figuring that at worst case he was facing a small off suit ace (which he would have been) With that range in mind reraising all in would be enough to scare him unless he had decided he was pot committed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're saying he'd only call with these marginal hands, and would definitely raise big hands? I can't see anyone calling with suited connectors here if that's what SSC refers to.

The CO's play was atrocious, and I don't know that your read on him can be that reliable after 11 hands. I imagine most hands he'd call with preflop can call your push. You really want to put AQs up against 55 or whatever this donk has?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:44 PM

I had played this guy in about a half dozen tournaments at this point. He made that vulture move on a tilter a few times with some very subpremium hands and 3bet to isolate only with great hands.