Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 04:42 PM

Default Good to chase, or fishy spewing?

Any thoughts? Anyone just flat call 3rd, and bet out fourth hoping for a raise to thin the field?

Is calling fifth just spewing, given the call from the open pair of jacks, or is it OK to chase?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___completes___raises
Seat 7: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (12.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (8.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (12.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (15.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___folds
Hero: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

Total pot: (17.35 BB)
Old 02-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Good to chase, or fishy spewing?

I probably just call the raise on third with plans to either bet out or checkraise depending how my opponents catch.

As for 5th, you have a call I think getting over 11-1 on a 10ish-1 to shot. The only problem is, catching a boat on 6th will generally kill your action (though I see it didn't here - nice game selection). Also, only two of the outs will (virtually) guarantee you a winner...you could snag ducks full and lose. I prob call 5th though because it doesn't seem likely anyone has a boat yet.

I like your play on 6th and 7th. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jeff
Old 02-28-2006, 05:17 PM

You may have made a huge mistake in this hand: tellme seat 3 was added to your buddy list.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:49 PM

Both Seat 1 and Seat 2 hit their door card which is a major scare considering the 3rd street action. But you're implied odds are strong enough to fish on 5th. You have 2 draws to 2 Aces, 2 shots at a 10 to 1. And as it happens, Bingo! You make gold, nice hit.

JMO - Knoll
Old 03-01-2006, 09:46 AM

Is it just me or is everyone ignoring that one of your aces is dead?

For this reason I definitely don't build the huge pot on 3rd, and the 5th call becomes much thinner. I think I still call though since the pot is big and as Jeff says the deuce looks like it will usually be good enough as well.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:30 PM

You're right - nobody has noticed the dead ace, which is why I posted the hand really. I think the line I took is pretty standard here with fully live aces, although you could just call the raise on third.

I would have been more likely to call third if I had position to be able to make others call two cold on fourth or fifth, but I thought that I may as well get some more money on third where I'm a favourite.

The problem on fifth is not so much the probable trip kings as the other hands - they should be either trips or a made hand to call the bet from the guy with open kings. If I was only against the kings, I would call down - even unimproved it ends up being a pair in the hole enough that its worth the single bet on the river.

In this situation, we have to assume we need to improve to win. The odds against are nearly 11:1 (32:3) and the pot gives us 11.5:1. On the other hand, given that twos full may well not win this pot that may well make it a fold. Any views?
Old 03-01-2006, 02:45 PM

Simon, I think this is a fold. You have 3 outs, only one of which is clean. When you run a twodimes on this, you also have to consider the chances that your opponent is already full. On the other hand, you also have to consider the chances your opponent doesn't have trips, but in this case, its safe to assume the guy with the jacks probably has trips as well. You are likely in 3rd place, drawing rather thin, and things may get expensive at some point if you fill with twos and still lose.

I think this is a tough, unfortunate but correct fold on 5th.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 PM

It's certainly close, but again I lean towards calling. Some more reasons: You close the action on 5th and will act last on 6th, assuming you don't hit. If on 6th you miss and the kings check and then the jacks bet, you should fold because the kings could checkraise pretty easily here. But there's a good chance you'll get to close the action on 6th too, or bail if it is bet and raised. And then you'll get to act last on 7th too, which is really good for both your implied odds when you hit the A and your reverse implied odds when you hit the deuce.