Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Default When to not 3bet aces and kings

I heard somebody mention that Taylor Caby has been suggesting in the latest cardrunner videos to not always 3bet aces and kings against solid players. But he plays high stakes where there is crazy agression and sandbagging aces is more likely to get paid off. At 50NL-100Nl are there any players out there that you cold call against in position with a 100bb effective stack?

I was at a table yesterday where I had two solid aggressive tags on my right and a bunch of fish to my left and I kept getting aces and kings and AK with a ridiculous frequency. I 3bet them evertyime in position and got folds evertime even though I was running like 25/25. Is this a case where I should have mixed in a cold call or two? I generally only cold call ip against maniacs.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: When to not 3bet aces and kings

Nyet, 3bet them always. Mixing it up sometimes & not 4betting after they 3bet you, when ya got position on them is okay, given they are a good player capable of folding to 4bet after 3betting. (Ex: You open AA in CO, SB 3bets you. I sometimes call here and shove after he cbets flop).

But usually ya wanna get as much money in preflop as possible here.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:54 PM

At 50NL, I find it profitable to call a 3bet with AA -- only in position! say you open in UTG - MP, fold, fold, BB raises it some real amount (say 7 or 8). Against a typical taggy good player, one who's not currently 3betting light, I can smooth call 30-50% of the time.

As you get closer to the button, they're less likely to believe you have AA if you 4bet or shove, so it becomes less profitable to smooth call. Also, they might be restealing, and you don't want to let JTs see a flop cheap.

KK - not so much. I'm too chicken, and I hate that I might fold the best hand on the flop if an A comes and villain cbets with JJ. I don't think that the 3bet ranges at 50nl justify smooth calling with KK.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:56 PM

another reason not to smoothcall is if you can't let them go when it comes down real bad.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:58 PM

always 3 bet no mather what you will be missing alot of value if you don't and you give people a cheap shot at cracking you aces/kings
Old 08-29-2007, 02:59 PM

the only time i dont 3 bet is when youre HU and they open shove pre.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:00 PM

whoops... I think I misread the post. I was talking about calling a 3bet after our open raise. Keep 3betting always at this level.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:02 PM

If I'm in a really tight game where players are frequently raise-folding to a re-raise, I will occasionally just flat-call a raise with AA if these players have trouble laying down top pair hands. I am praying they have AK/AQ/KQ/whatever and hit top pair on the flop.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM

It could be profitable if you are against a known hyper-aggro opponent who you think will pay you off more by bluffing than by calling/raising with weaker made hands. You do need a good read here that your opponent is really bluffing a lot of the time. Most of the time (probably > 95%) you want to 3-bet though
Old 08-29-2007, 03:09 PM

Rule of thumb: Get the money in when you have an equity edge. That means ASAP with aces or kings.

It can sometimes be a good idea to flat call if an opponent to your left is very aggressive preflop and raises a wide range. Then you can drop the hammer on him.

At micro stakes, slowplaying is typically a very bad idea.