Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

Default Bet flush-draw on turn or take free card? River bet if you miss?

As the old saying goes, betting and raising give you two ways to win the pot, checking and calling give you one. Was in a situation last night at the park that was most frustrating; I had flopped a good flush draw with an inside-straight draw; loose player raises on the flop, I three-bet it, the initial bettor folds, he calls so it's heads-up. Turn is a trey if I remember right. I check (bad move) as does he; he checks the river as do I; he has two pair with a pair on the board. I can't remember the hand exactly, but I believe the flop was TJK and I had A7 clubs, two clubs on flop.

Now if the trey was the river card, and he's just got tens on the turn, he's probably going to fold, so I think I messed this one up pretty good.

Later in the session, similar scenario, as I have 76 suited, flop the four-flush, and get heads up with position on the guy, who checks to me - but this time I bet not just on the flop, but on the turn and then miss on the river but fire out another bet. He thinks briefly and then says "well he's got me beat" and mucks his hand.

I've heard it said that you don't gain much with a river bet in limit as the pot gives players the right odds to call, but this is the second session in a row at the park I've won a pot by firing with position when the river card isn't too much. I really think most players don't think about the pot size much, but if you have a tight image and then start firing you can wrestle some pots, and get even loose players to lay-down middle pair and bottom pair on the river.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Paul