Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 PM

Default 200nl short-stack live cash game (hand 2)

Again, we are only allowed to buy into this 1/2 game for 50BB. Min buyin was like 20BB. Rock.

Hero (EP): about $200
Villain (BTN): about $145
Hero is dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
One limper, Hero raises to $10, Villain calls, there's like $30 in the pot.
Flop comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero bets $20, Villain raises to $40, Hero calls.
Turn comes 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero checks, Villain bets $60, Hero raises all-in for another $35.

I think I am demonstrating some really very terrible conceptual errors here, so feedback on a philosophical level would be great.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Default Re: 200nl short-stack live cash game (hand 2)

I probably got a little fancy with AJo. I think it's probably okay in a super-loose 1/2 game to limp-fold this hand in EP. I'm lucky I didn't get into trouble with multiple a huge pot.

But, once it's down to two of us, I'm totally comfortable making a c-bet. Getting min-raised with six outs isn't my favorite, but the pot is now getting big and I think I'm required to call.

The turn is good and bad - I think my opponent might be on a single pair, and I've got 9 flush outs and 3 straight outs. I think the turn check is mandatory.

I made the wrong decision with the turn check-raise, I think - it's small enough (given his small stack) that he's committed, and if I was going to do that, I ought to do it earlier. I think I do this a lot - if I'm not getting the odds to continue on a draw, I'll switch it up with aggression. Bad calls become marginally better all-in raises, but none of that means it's any good.

I basically want to be told that I can reasonably fold turn here, despite having maybe 17 outs.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:05 PM

Playing AJ UTG+1 in a loose 1/2 game isn't exactly my idea of optimal play, but it's not terrible.

Let's start with why you are calling the flop min-raise. You have absolutely nothing, so why are you calling?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Fold preflop?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:20 PM

OK, I feel guilty when I make stupid two word posts, so I'm back.

Yes, fold preflop. I know you've got a nice stack, but with the 50BB buy in I assume there are a number of short stacks at the table. In that case AJo just isn't good enough to play a large pot OOP.

I never mind a c-bet all that much, but once he raises, you can fold... you have nothing. Really you can't even consider the remaining aces clean outs. Reads? If villain is insane and will do this with QJ, that's one thing, but if villain is a typical passive live player he has at least a pair here, very likely more.

And on the turn, if you're going to (essentially) call all-in with your 11 outs, just go ahead and shove. At least that way you have a little FE along with your draw.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 PM

Depending on the rake structure you need to limp or fold preflop. If this is a CA game where the drop is all on the flop, just fold PF. If it's a percentage rake, then go ahead and limp. As mentioned you really need to dump to the min-raise on the flop.