Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Default Hate this situation...

Two parts to this question...

1. What's your pre flop action? What range do you put him on? Do we gain anything from a pf raise here?

2. What's your flop action?

Villian has shown down zero hands, has been fairly active from blinds and LP. Has won small multi-way pots with small bets. Essentially readless so far, except that he's playing @ 30-35% of the hands.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t20/t40
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1590
UTG+1: t845
MP1: t1630
MP2: t1160
MP3: t1260
CO: t1140
Button: t1445
Hero: t2720
BB: t1710

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to t80</font>, 2 folds, MP2 calls t80 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t140)</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls t60 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t220)</font>, BB calls t40 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t280)</font>.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t320, 4 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets t320</font>, MP2 folds, Hero??
Old 08-28-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Hate this situation...

buy in would help here - but you missed your set - I would just dump it here...
Old 08-28-2007, 02:52 PM

Yeah, I don't like this spot either. I tend to fold, but I have been getting stacked with overpairs by bigger overpairs a lot recently so that could be results oriented. But in any case, a minraise pre followed by a pot bet on a 6-high board isn't usually something you beat
Old 08-28-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
buy in would help here

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies

$2
Old 08-28-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
buy in would help here

[/ QUOTE ]

Apologies

$2

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case you'll have many, many more +ev situations to get it in, I agree with sixfour...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:12 PM

1. My preflop action is to call for set value. Since villain is utg and it's a $2 I put him on AT+, KJ+, 77+. You don't gain much from a pf raise simply because this is a sng and losing chip is much, much, worse then getting chips. Plus villain probably has a hand that he'll go all the way with, which vs his range you only have 1 hand dominated.

2. Flop Action? No set, no bet especially with 2 other players in the pot.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. My preflop action is to call for set value. Since villain is utg and it's a $2 I put him on AT+, KJ+, 77+. You don't gain much from a pf raise simply because this is a sng and losing chip is much, much, worse then getting chips. Plus villain probably has a hand that he'll go all the way with, which vs his range you only have 1 hand dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

great, I'm going to be saying that to myself aloud while playing now... thanks...
Old 08-28-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Much thanks Deuce, that's the way I played it. I wanted to make sure I wasn't playing it weak.

Cheers.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

great, I'm going to be saying that to myself aloud while playing now... thanks...

[/ QUOTE ]

As always you don't play every hand the the same way everytime, there are always exceptions. Most of the time it's my default play. Say I call a raise from a loose player who is in mp from the button with 99. We go to the flop heads up. Villain bets half the pot on a q64 board. At times I'll call and if villain checks a safe turn, I'll bet to protect my hand.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As always you don't play every hand the the same way everytime, there are always exceptions. Most of the time it's my default play. Say I call a raise from a loose player who is in mp from the button with 99. We go to the flop heads up. Villain bets half the pot on a q64 board. At times I'll call and if villain checks a safe turn, I'll bet to protect my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

obv. I just meant the rhyme