Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Badly Played?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $10/$20
9 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $1420
UTG+1: $1130
MP1: $1350
MP2: $1350
MP3: $1850
CO: $3930
Button: $780
SB: $1590
Hero: $1550

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, 2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $100</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($500, 5 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $400</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises all-in $1030</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2560, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $2560)

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2560, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $2560)

Results:
Final pot: $2560
UTG+1 shows 7c Kc
Hero shows Qh As

I played this hand earlier in an mtt. wondered if anyone would mind taking a look and pointing out where i may have gone wrong.

cheers
Old 08-28-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Badly Played?

I dont see the problem with your play, you got it in ahead. I guess if you were afraid of the flush on the flop you could of tried to control the pot better
Old 08-28-2007, 02:39 PM

After the flop, you should have bet more that the pot, in order to chase out the flush draws. $400 into a $500 pot, the flush draw has proper odds to call you. I would have bet at least $600. Then he would have made a mistake calling you.

Him going all in like that was a bad move on his part, unless he was trying to bluff you out of the pot. Pretty stupid on his part, since you raised preflop, and bet out again on the flop.

Of course, since he called a 5X raise preflop with K7s, I doubt you could have chased him out with a machine gun. The only bad play you made was not betting enough on the flop, other than that, you played it fine.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:58 PM

My view:
Preflop fine
Flop I would have check, then call if necessary
Turn probably check around
River maybe I'd call depending on the player, size of bet etc.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:51 PM

2 clubs should of scared you, especially with an all in, like that couldnt of been anything other than a pocket pair or a flush draw which you had the pair beat with no hits on the flop should of placed him on a flush or A something

So your only two options were to bully/check to see where you stand, you choose to bully, and ya the raise should of been a little over the pot, when he shoved there, I would of thought he was a maniac, but your Aces still had a chance of getting flushed out.

He got lucky...
Old 08-28-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I played this hand earlier in an mtt. wondered if anyone would mind taking a look and pointing out where i may have gone wrong.

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Raise more pre-flop. You are crushing the range of the loose-passive donk's who frequent these small-stakes SNG's and you are way out of position. I'd raise it up to at least $160, maybe even $200.

As played, I'd bet the pot on the flop but generally you played it fine. Sometimes the donks just get lucky.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:56 PM

I think your main problem here is the PF bet sizing. The pot had 100 chips in it and you raised 80 more, giving the first player 9:4 odds. After he called, you could be sure you were going to be facing the whole world with terrible position in huge pot.

Early in an MTT, I'd pop this to more like 150 pf, hoping to get a single opponent/take it down, or at least face less than 4 players.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My view:
Preflop fine
Flop I would have check, then call if necessary
Turn probably check around
River maybe I'd call depending on the player, size of bet etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can't be serious?
[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM

sorry to sound ignorant but i have a couple of questions:

bill: i am not quite sure how i have given him odds to call me post flop by betting 400 into 500. is that that not 2.25/1 where he needs approx 4/1 to justify calling? i appreciate that he has the river too but i am not going to give him that for free if he did not hit on the turn.

peace: is checking not the worst thing i can do if i have him on a flush draw as i will be giving him a free card to beat me?

cheers for the input, any more is welcome

ok missed a couple of posts that came in between me loading the page and writing a reply.

i will ceratinly take on board the point about the pre flop raise i have actually thought about that myself in the past and will increase it next time something like this happens

as far as being scared of the clubs i knew there was a good chance that he was drawing to a flush and i could lose but i figured i was getting about 3/1 on my call of his all-in and it was about evens for him to hit it so it was worth the call. i suppose on thing i wanted to confirm was that this call would be profitable in the long run? if so i am not overly fussed that i lost this time.

ta
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

peace: is checking not the worst thing i can do if i have him on a flush draw as i will be giving him a free card to beat me?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is by far the worst thing you could do. Some of the advice people are giving in this thread is just bizarre.