Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Cont. bet ui AK

all villains are loose passive, Mp2 is 40/5/0.8 in 100hands
and co is 80/5/1 in 30hands

Absolute Poker
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $3/$6
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.67SB, 4 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, BB calls.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (5.83BB, 3 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (8.83BB, 3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks.

Results:
Final pot: 8.83BB
Old 08-28-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Cont. bet ui AK

Check the flop. There isn't a c-bet situation anywhere on this board for AK. No wonder so many people hate AK...
Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM

Although I don't hate the flop c-bet 3-handed, the turn c-bet is pointless. Given both the low post-flop Ag numbers on these guys, and the fact that your ace outs have to be discounted, I would likely checkfold the turn.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the flop. There isn't a c-bet situation anywhere on this board for AK. No wonder so many people hate AK...

[/ QUOTE ]

Checking this flop is bad. Checking this turn is good.

Don't underestimate how likely we are to be ahead on this flop in a three-handed pot. Also don't underestimate how important it is to protect a vulnerable "semi-made" hand (which AK is in a short-handed pot), particularly when we can do so without risking a big bet (i.e. on the flop).

On the turn, the extra cost of protection, the fewer cards left to come out, and the increased likelihood we are behind due to the two calls on the flop turn what is a call on the flop into a check on the turn.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM

the flop is 4-handed, and two more players still have to act. you desperately need a free/cheap card, imo...
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the flop is 4-handed, and two more players still have to act. you desperately need a free card, imo...

[/ QUOTE ]

I mispoke in noting the hand was three-handed.

I think the concept is still applicable four-handed (though a bit less comparatively). The board texture is key here; though there is a flush draw, the lack of high cards suggests that relatively often no one will have a pair here.

The combined likelihood that: (a) no one has a pair and your hand is good; (b) an opponent might not call a very weak pair; (c) you are behind but improve to a winner on a later street, give you enough equity to call here.

I would also note that taking a stab at this flop greatly increases the odds that you can see the river. If you can force out one player behind you (or even two!) you improve your relative position and can leverage your flop aggression to sometimes earn a free card on the turn, which is far more expensive than a free card on the flop.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the flop is 4-handed, and two more players still have to act. you desperately need a free card, imo...

[/ QUOTE ]

I mispoke in noting the hand was three-handed.

I think the concept is still applicable four-handed (though a bit less comparatively). The board texture is key here; though there is a flush draw, the lack of high cards suggests that relatively often no one will have a pair here.

The combined likelihood that: (a) no one has a pair and your hand is good; (b) an opponent might not call a very weak pair; (c) you are behind but improve to a winner on a later street, give you enough equity to make betting correct here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-28-2007, 11:54 AM

How I would play this depends on a number of factors.

If I've just gotten to the table, I'll c-bet the flop and maybe even the turn. If I've been here a while and been active I'll check and re-evaluate, but unless its a bet and a raise I'll call one with 2 overs and a bd flushdraw.

If the CO is the type who will usually bet in position if checked to, I'll checkraise if the CO bets and the BB folds.

If its your first orbit or you haven't gotten involved at all yet, I'd consider c-betting right through the river. and showing down your ui AK, which will likely get your made hands called more liberally later in the session.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM

this is 3/6. they're calling no matter what...
Old 08-28-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this is 3/6. they're calling no matter what...

[/ QUOTE ]

Compensating differentials: Yes, your opponents are more likely to call on this flop at 3/6 than in other games, but they are also more likely to call on this flop with hands that are significantly worse and often dominated by yours. Whereas at a higher limit game, the primary objective for betting might be to take down the pot immediately, here it is more for a combination of value when ahead and to maximize chances of seeing two cards and showing down a winner. These different reasons to bet increase / decrease in value depending on game texture, but they tend to move inversely to one another, and overall there seems to be value in betting in most games.