Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:08 AM

Default 25NL Completing from SB with Many Limpers Discussion

In the last session reviews, we had a discussion on completing from the small blind. I have been completing the SB almost always if I am getting at least 10 to 1 on my call (usually a dime to complete on CL). My reviewer says it is a leak. I agree with some of my hands it is. Others I am not sure. For instance on this hand with suited Q4. I am curious to what others think. How about suited and unsuited connectors, one gappers, 2 gappers, etc. Here is an example hand.

Cryptologic - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.15/$0.25 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

Hero (SB): $27.69
BB: $26.45
UTG: $24.70
UTG+1: $13.95
MP1: $5.00
MP2: $9.20
MP3: $21.53
CO: $17.78
BTN: $20.95

Preflop: Hero is dealt Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 folds, MP2 checks, MP3 folds, CO calls $0.25, BTN folds, Hero calls $0.10, BB checks

Flop: ($1.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
Old 08-28-2007, 04:42 AM

Default Re: Completing from SB with Many Limpers Discussion

The SB in this game is 60% of the BB. I would complete very loosely here because the pot odds are better than in most games (in a 1/2 game the SB is 50% of the BB). I would definitely complete any two suited in your situation.

If the SB were 10c instead of 15c (or 40% instead of 60%) you should fold more often.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 AM

I play at .05-.1 and with at least 2 limpers I'll complete with Ax, any suited K or Q, unsuited Q down to Q8 and K down to K7, unsuited one gappers as low as 57 and suited 1 and 2 gappers.
If there are 4 or more limpers (quite common in my game) and I've seen people willing to go broke with TP in unraised pots I'll complete with worse hands also and try to score big.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 AM

I think Ace-rag offsuit is a leak. You're basically praying to Flop 2 pair and could still easily be beat if you get much action.

I'd much rather have 86s than A6o.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:07 AM

When there are a ton of limpers I will also rather complete with hands that play well multi-way - 86s is a good example. I also agree an A on the flop in a 6 way pot is not a blessing if you have an A with no kicker.

With a couple of limpers though I'm getting 7:1 on my money and my A may still be good as they can easily be limping with suited connectors, broadway cards or small pairs.

I think as long as you don't fall in love with Ax and you’re willing to get out if you get too much action is an ok play IMO. After all I don't have to win a lot here to be +EV.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM

You're almost always getting 8-1 to 12-1 on a call in limped situations, so most anything suited, or connected, is good for a limp. I'd probably try and discipline myself into dumping A/rag off.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think Ace-rag offsuit is a leak. You're basically praying to Flop 2 pair and could still easily be beat if you get much action.

I'd much rather have 86s than A6o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beggars can't be choosers. I'll complete A-Xo if it is dealt to me and I am getting great odds. I've tightened up my SB completion% significantly lately which has been a + to the green side, I'm still completing many more hands than many other players here and was in the green the last time that I checked.

My rules are:
1. If you flop TP or SP w/ NK in a 3 or 4 way pot, and the board is uncoordinated, then I fire out 2/3 of the pot. If I'm called then I shut down (most of the time), if I get raised then I dump. This is very board and image dependent and requires a lot of feel for the right situations. Betting gives you clean info where as checking may induce bluffs which leaves you with a tough decision. Betting 2/3 of the pot also protects you from overcard hands that didn't connect.
2. Keep it fit or fold, you're OOP and in a limped pot.
3. I slowplay very little, and only on an uncoordinate board.
4. Never slowplay 2pair, esp T&B or B2P.
5. Checking TPNK with an A or K on the flop I don't consider slowplaying, many more players play Ax and Kx and when I check these, I intend on folding to any significant action, but will fire on a safe turn if it is checked around. When you turn 2 pair, see #4.

You are getting great odds many times from the SB, you just have to be patient and wait for the 1 in 10 times that you will flop a winner.

I will not complete K-7o, Q-8o or smaller, but will complete any 2 gappers, or A2SC's. When there is only 1 limper, then I tighten up significantly, folding almost all 2 gappers and many other drawing hands as my odds have been reduced.

When you stack a player or 2 w/ 2-4o, you can complete many more MW SB's while you're waiting to flop the next deceptive nut hand. That one is what you are waiting for, you just have to not give it all away while you're waiting for the next one. Fit or Fold!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Agree with Landlord.
I complete with every hand that IMO has some kind of nut (or at least very good hand) potential. That means I'm completing with all connectors, with good two gappers, with SCs of course, with high suited cards (Kxs, Axs). I'm folding hands like J6os, K7os, T4os etc etc. When I call with Axos, I am very very careful. When an A hits, I'll try to take the pot down once, if there is resistance I'll give it up most of the times.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree with Landlord.
I complete with every hand that IMO has some kind of nut (or at least very good hand) potential. That means I'm completing with all connectors, with good two gappers, with SCs of course, with high suited cards (Kxs, Axs). I'm folding hands like J6os, K7os, T4os etc etc. When I call with Axos, I am very very careful. When an A hits, I'll try to take the pot down once, if there is resistance I'll give it up most of the times.

[/ QUOTE ]

AGREE 100%
Old 08-28-2007, 11:15 AM

I to would much rather have 86s than A6o. I hate playing A-Rag.