Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Meeting people

I am a Junior going to a large campus (Purdue -- West Lafayette) and despite there being thousands of people out there I'm having a hard time meeting people I want to be around. I have a small-ish circle of friends that I hang out with, they're awesome but they're a lot like me in that they don't really get out much outside this circle.

I'm currently living in a dorm, but the floor I'm living on seems to be the bizarrely anti-social floor. My plan was to meet a couple people from this floor and go out and party with them every so often, but none of them ever seem to get out much or do anything together (unlike the last years I've been here). There's a few student organizations that I'm in but they don't meet much with the exception of one, and that's where most of the people I know now come from.

I've also been single for far too long (read: essentially my entire life, my last date was I think early 2005 with someone I really had no interest in from the start) and need some opportunities to meet [available] girls on campus. (Hence why I'm trying to find a party group, my current friends don't really party all that much.) I'm really not the type to just out of nowhere introduce myself to someone with no reason, so my best bet is either to give myself a reason or become more outgoing, both which are proving far harder than I thought they would. I turn 21 in December and would at least like to have some experience with women before I'm of age. Fortunately for me I have decent game considering how little I actually interact with girls, but this is useless if I can't interact with them in the first place.

So, how so I form new circles of friends? Specifically, a group of people I can go out with on weekends and just have a good time with. I thought this would be easier this semester since I planned to get out and meet more people but the ideas I had haven't panned out, at all. Help?

Cliff notes: I suck at meeting people, I suck worse at meeting women, I'm sick of this and need to change ASAP.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Meeting people

join groups/clubs that meet regularly where you can establish friendships
Old 08-28-2007, 03:10 PM

I've done this a couple times, but I'm kind of looking for other ways. I mean, I can find something that I've never done before that seems interesting.

What I'm trying to do more if meet people in everyday circumstances, somthing I've never been able to do but really want to learn how, especially now.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:58 PM

Leave Purdue before you become suicidal. That place is where fun goes to die.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:48 PM

there is a reason why everyone outside of west laf calls it purdont
Old 08-28-2007, 07:04 PM

Ok, tomorrow I'll wake up and transfer to a party school and have the same problem.

THANKS FOR THE AWESOME ADVICE GUYS
Old 08-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Oh shut up and quite being a whiny bitch. The only way to meet people is to talk to them. In class, at some function, at a party, wherever. Someone said join some clubs for things you like to do, so do it. Be friendly to people you do group projects with in class. I don't know what the hell you're looking for from anyone here since the only way to get better at something is to do it, even if you don't like it. Everyone in college likes to go out, so just invite some people over for beer or out somewhere.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:47 PM

Well obviously I need to get out more, I was more looking for places and ways to find people to get to know well enough to go out and party with. I've been successful at clubs in the past, so I'll find a couple more of those.

Thinking about it I do need to learn how to keep contacts instead of meeting someone, getting their number, and never talking to them again. I'm going to stop doing that.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 AM

facebook them, start talking on AIM.

or just join a frat and instantly gain 30 friends.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:53 AM

Go to things you enjoy (music, art, theater, discussions on topics in your field, sports, etc...). You'll eventually see people multiple times and you can introduce yourself. You have to do some work. Oh, and I found sharing a bowl always helps...