Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Aggression check - KTo live 4/8

Both villains are new to the game. BB is young asian kid, button is older "regular" guy. Love the sound of his own voice and thinks he plays really well. Wants everyone else to know he plays really well too.

Hero is dealt KTo in the Hijack. UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls in HJ, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks. 6 to the flop of:

(6sb) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
BB bets, UTG folds, MP calls, Hero Raises, Button 3-bets, SB folds, BB calls 2, MP calls 2, Hero calls
(9bb) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Checked to Button who bets, all call
(13bb) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Checked to button, button checks.

Does anyone cap the flop or donk the turn? I couldn't think of a hand that 3-bet the flop that I was ahead of, so I elected to call down.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Aggression check - KTo live 4/8

if you really want that last bet to go in you can b/f the river, but i think you played it fine. be happy if he checks behind with ATo.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:20 PM

nhs.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM

i think you played it fine...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Sounds like you ended up with winner and are wondering where you could have bet more.

You didn't even have TPTK. The cold-caller will often have a flush or two pair. I'd check this river all day long.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:12 PM

Does anyone want to fold this preflop?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:16 PM

SSHE says to play this hand from the CO and Button, but to fold it from the HJ, so it's obviously very close.

I folded pf in this exact situation Friday night and would have won a very nice pot with just a pair of tens, just as it appears Scarm did (or was set up to). In general, I think if your table is full of poor, passive players, playing KTo from the HJ can show a profit. It's about as low as I'd go though.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM

Oh and for the hand itself, NH Sir. Exactly as I play it.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you ended up with winner and are wondering where you could have bet more.

You didn't even have TPTK. The cold-caller will often have a flush or two pair. I'd check this river all day long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was trying not to be results oriented. Like you say, with tpgk my hand is often no good against 3 players especially when the flush gets there on the river. I've been working on upping my aggression live and it's been helping me win some extra bets and even win some pots I wouldn't have otherwise. As far as calling PF, I typically call this in a passive 4/8 game in the HJ, but wouldn't call any earlier. The game had been VERY passive preflop, so I wasn't worried about getting raised.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM

I really think that we need to put a bet in on the turn or the river, and I think the turn is the place. Thoughts:

1. There ARE plenty of things that three-bet the flop that you are ahead of: JT and QT, any big diamond draw, QJ, J8, etc.

2. With 2 other players left in the hand in addition to you and the three-bettor, allowing the turn to check through and give free shots to gutshots, small one pair hands, overcards, etc.

3. Betting the turn will maximize value when you are ahead and combat your positional disadvantage versus the button (i.e. if you check with the intent of betting the river, you give the button the option of checking the turn, etc.)