Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 04:57 PM

Default 96 was a good year

Villain is 24/13/1.8. A typical TAG for this game. I've seen nothing but solid play from so far today. He may be slightly passive compared to myself but those numbers seem solid enough.

Button is 26/15/1.8 after 123 hands

Limit: $2/$4
5 players

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls. This is standard for me. Anyone laying this down?

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img](6.5SB, 3 players)
Hero bets?? CO raises, Button folds, Hero calls. I realize I donked the flop but I felt it was in my best interest to pry the button from this hand if I could. So my bet is an offer of leverage?

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](5.25BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, CO bets, Hero calls??? Anyone raising now?

River: K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](7.25BB, 2 players)
Hero bets, CO raises, Hero calls????
Anybody 3-betting. He's no monkey over there?

Results:
Final pot: 11.25BB
Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Re: 96 was a good year

Id c/r the flop. The typical TAG is betting his whole range on the flop(even when its incorrect).
Old 08-26-2007, 05:14 PM

I think donking or check-raising the flop are both good.

Check-raising the turn is okay, the pot is big enough where you don't mind him folding overs, but if he calls, I think you have to c/f a blank river if he bets.

Just call the river. It should be obvious to any tag that you probably have a flush and this one doesn't seem to care.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, CO raises, Button calls, SB folds, Hero calls. This is standard for me. Anyone laying this down?

[/ QUOTE ]

No way that I am folding preflop. 5.5:1 with a cold caller who is an idiot by definition.

I know I have said it a billion times. But I am up several 100 BB's making calls with suited junk in the BB getting 5:1. My winrate making that play was (0.14) the last time I checked over 1200 trials. And that was for a range NOT containing 96s, but worse hands only.

I keep repeating myself, but folding here preflop is ridiculous.

About postflop. C/r the flop, you have huge eq and will get a lot of calls on a drawy board.

As played its a mistake to c/r the turn IMO. His 2nd barrel range is prolly better than your hand.

I 3-bet river. He isnt putting you on the backdoor flush.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:17 PM

he gave you golden opportunity to 3-bet the river. do it!!!

-btw, love the flop bet...
Old 08-26-2007, 06:22 PM

Oink,

I'm not sure about the flop equity idea? If i check the flop with the intention of raising I pretty much trap the button into the hand. All I have on the flop is a pair and a gutshot. I may be ahead but I still figure I'm best to bet out and hope the PFRaiser makes the button face 2 more cold.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I may be ahead but I still figure I'm best to bet out and hope the PFRaiser makes the button face 2 more cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I am a jerk, but this has been discussed a million times. Sorry!

The thing is that when CO raises and "protects your hand" he will have a better hand than you more often than not.

Unless you can expect CO to raise overcards you will only get the protection raise you are donking for when you are behind and then you wouldnt really like to shut out button.

Hope I am making sense
Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM

Against this villain I like checkraising the flop. He's a bit passive, so if you donk he's going to have a tough time raising overcards but he'll always raise overpairs.

I think I would try to checkraise the river here. He probably bets all of his hands except TT, possibly AJ and QQ.

Since you decided to donk, though, and he raised, I would gladly 3bet. There's no way he can put you on a backdoor flush.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I may be ahead but I still figure I'm best to bet out and hope the PFRaiser makes the button face 2 more cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I am a jerk, but this has been discussed a million times. Sorry!

The thing is that when CO raises and "protects your hand" he will have a better hand than you more often than not.

Unless you can expect CO to raise overcards you will only get the protection raise you are donking for when you are behind and then you wouldnt really like to shut out button.

Hope I am making sense

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you make some sense. But there must be some validity to betting out on the flop. The buton may hold some outs to beat me that the PFR does not. And if the turn is a real bad card I've gained good info from the villains flop raise so I may be able to dump the 66 after the turn?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:00 PM

I don't think the flop lead is bad. this is the kind of flop that CO is most likely to check with overs, and with button still to act you put pressure on CO to incorrectly fold a hand with 6 outs.

c/r is fine too, not sure which line is more +ev

as oink mentioned you shouldn't be making this play solely for protection because when the pfr raises your lead you are usually behind

as played turn is good and 3bet the river