Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 AM

Default Implied odds, am I expecting too much?

UTG is 34/27/3.4, seems quite solid post-flop. I'm trying to get get more well disguised speculative hands to my pre-flop play, but am I going too far with this? There are still two nice stacks acting after me, and I have position on them.

** Prima [Hold 'em] (0.25|0.50 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- SB $47.75
- BB $71.31
- UTG $103.45
- MP $34.00
- Hero $47.12
- Button $30.05 [Dealer]

SB posted the small blind - $0.25
BB the big blind - $0.50
** Dealing card to Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] of, 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG raised - $2.00
MP folded
Hero called - $2.00

I'm also trying to figure out ways to make EV calculations for these. My odds of floping something good(set+) are around 1:8, but that's about where my calculations end.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Implied odds, am I expecting too much?

Your call is fine and well-within the 5/10 rule. You should be playing 22 for set value only so your 8-1 is correct. You have to expect to win at least $16 to make this call profitable. I'd say your chances are good if you spike you set against a 34/27 type player.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:29 AM

From Skeme's FAQ...the 5/10 rule is all you need here:
[ QUOTE ]

Q: I've heard other posters mentioning the 5/10 rule. What is it?

A: The 5/10 rule is an important no-limit concept that first appeared in Bob Ciaffone's excellent book, "PL & NL Poker." To quote directly from the book:

"When contemplating calling a raise because your position is good, you have a clear call if the raise is less than 5% of your stack, and a clear fold if it is more than 10%. In between those numbers, use your judgement."

It's a good rule for calling a preflop raise with a pocket pair in hopes of hitting a set. The concept goes hand in hand with implied odds. If you get your set, but the opponent only has 5BBs after the initial raise, calling to hit the set in the first place is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM

Ok, thanks for your answers. I just read the FAQ before posting, so there seems to be some pipes broken in my brains.

I return to my original mission, which was playing those disguised speculative hands. If we take a suited connector like 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], how should that be valued? Odds of flopping an 8-out SD, FD or a made hand are close to 1:4 with suited connectors like that. With that still being a draw, I would be happy to have two decent stacks with me when calling a raise like in the first hand. Any clue here?

How about villain and me having 150BB stacks or even 200BB stacks? Would that justify calling the 4BB raise and seeing the flop HU if I have the position?

Yes, I know. It depends