Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 01:38 AM

Default The Nanny Staters have a new target

Apparently alcohol and pool/darts/videa games are unhealthy for us now too. This is an isolated incidence, but I think it gives good insight into the fact that our opponents want to take this country to some scary extremes.

This item comes from Covington, Georgia, which is about 30 miles east of Atlanta.

http://www.covnews.com/main.asp?Sect...;ArticleID=675

They don't explain the reason why this ordinance is in place or why they are focusing on enforcing it, but they basically pulled all dart boards, pool tables, video games, and any "Machines operated for amusement" out of the local bars.

The overwhelming sentiment is that this is absurd, but even in this case, it only takes a minority to keep something in place, once its already passed.

Why am I posting this on a poker site? I think it gives good insight into how fanatical our opponents are. It also comes in useful when trying to explain to other people, how its not just poker that we're fighting for, its our basic rights, and sooner or later, the nanny staters will focus on a topic that they might care about.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:52 AM

Default Re: The Nanny Staters have a new target

As of the census of 2000, there were 11,547 people, 4,261 households, and 2,906 families residing in the city (of Covington, GA).

How does a story about about antiquated "blue" laws in a town in the middle of nowhere relate to poker... or anything for that matter? This story isn't some incredible foreshadowing of the impending pressure of the religious right to strip us of our freedoms...

Besides.... that's already happening.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 AM

I found it an interesting read. It's a ridiculous law. I can't believe people still get so weird over gambling and alcohol.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:25 AM

Many states have ridiculous laws. For example, an existing law in Massachusetts says that if a person from Rhode Island sets foot on your front lawn, you are legally allowed to shoot them dead. If they are from any other state, you do not have same right. Now do you expect anyone to actually enforce that? I hope not. My point is that every state has antiquated laws, but when people start to go out and actively enforce them, it becomes quite scary.

The reason for including this is to be able to have extra examples of what these anti-poker types will do, when left unchecked.

Also, Covington is not exactly in the middle of nowhere. Its a suburb of Atlanta, and containts many affluent professional types who commute into the city for work. Unless you live here, quoting census statistics doesn't really do it justice.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:36 AM

OK, though a small town paper, lets comment and make a comparision.

My comment:

WOW!
You all can drink beer and play pool and other games.
You all can drink wine and play pool and other games.

Kinda reminds me of the recent GOP congress that passed a law allowing us to bet on horses but not play poker on the Internet.
That same law allows us to play solitaire, hearts, spades, free cell, CHILDREN’S VIDEO GAMES on the internet, but alas, no poker.

I am not sure which law is more absurd. No Jack Daniels and pool or betting on Children’s Games at AOL, MSN, YAHOO! and other places but no five and dime poker.

obg
Old 08-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Oh you've got trouble,
Right here in River City,
With a capital T and rhymes with P and that stands for Pool!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:40 PM

Default They don\'t explain the reason why this ordinance is in place ...

God doesn't want a bunch of distractions around people who want to get likkered up ?
Old 08-27-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does a story about about antiquated "blue" laws in a town in the middle of nowhere relate to poker... or anything for that matter? This story isn't some incredible foreshadowing of the impending pressure of the religious right to strip us of our freedoms...

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone already addressed the middle-of-nowhere comment. But antiquated doesn't seem to fit a law that was passed in 1982.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 PM

It seems as if we are living in some sort of Footloose hell.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Oh you've got trouble,
Right here in River City,
With a capital T and rhymes with P and that stands for Poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP