Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 10:26 AM

Default $5nl - Tough decision with AQ

Villlian is 30/1.7/0.7 over 140 hands.

Thought about folding the turn and maybe i should have in hignsight.

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.02/$0.05 Blinds - 9 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $3.77
BB: $10.02
UTG: $3.31
UTG+1: $14.23
MP1: $3.03
MP2: $8.36
MP3: $12.66
CO: $10.88
Hero (BTN): $10.62

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (9 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $0.25</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.25, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.57) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.45</font>, MP2 calls $0.45

Turn: ($1.47) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
MP2 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $1.10</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to $2.20</font>, Hero calls $1.10

River: ($5.87) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">MP2 bets $3.55</font>
Old 08-25-2007, 10:38 AM

Default Re: $5nl - Tough decision with AQ

Fold pre-flop. Not alot of hands on him, but thats far too nitty for my liking. His is J's+, AK. 50/50 with Jacks but everything else has you crushed.

I'd probaly check the turn, if he had AK i think he would of lead out himself. When he checks the turn he either has K's, or a set of A's or Q's. I dont think he will pay you off with K's so i'd check and see what he does on the river.

Edit - Actually, i dont know if checking the flop would be better. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I'd be worried he's going for a check-raise here. I suppose if he c/r's the flop we get away from the hand with only $0.45 invested. But as soon as he calls it i am checking the turn.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 PM

at this level, my guess is you're against AK or AQ. I disagree with Teddie, suited AQ is not a fold here.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 PM

you gotta call that river. top two is good here most of the time especially at this level.

completely disagree with teddie about folding pre. you are on the button with a premium hand and you are there to play some cards. i would include A5 in what he might have, especially with his flat call on the flop and then raise on the turn. i call the river and see what happens.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:10 PM

What at this level, turn you should just push that reraise.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:30 PM

This is stars NL .05 so Im insta-pushing the turn.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:38 AM

For those of you not folding to the turn mini-raise and going all the way with this hand, what are you beating in villains range, besides KK (I'll take the easy one).
Old 08-26-2007, 08:04 AM

I'd fold. Hands he has here (since he almost never raises pf) are AA/KK/QQ/JJ/(may be) AK. You beat AK, KK, JJ and with those cards I don't see him raising the turn and pushing the river, since he's passive postflop.

I say you're beat.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 AM

I think some of you guys have the misconception that all $5nl players are donks and that top two pair is the nuts against every player.

Think about villians line here.

He's raised 5xbb from mp, with this guys stats this is most often JJ,QQ because their scared of overcards so charge a higher price.

He's also only raised 1.7 hands which probably narrows down his mp range to AA-TT AK-AJ, probably less.

He's then checked the flop, if he was a hand like AK-AJ, he's most probably c betting this flop with the amount of draws out.

I also believe this villian has 22,55,A5,A2 nearly never.

Villians af is only 0.7 which means he's probably only check raising with a monster.

He's flat called my flop bet and check raised my turn bet and the only hands i can put him on here are aces or queens.

He then leads the river for an amount that looks like he wants to be payed and suggests to me that he's value betting a monster.

I know i'm getting 3/1 on the call but in this situation i believe i'm not winning 1 in 3 times to justify calling.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 AM

preflop calling is marginal at best imo, but probably not too bad as your both deep.

Flop I like bet/folding here as his range is JJ+, AK. But once he calls I shut down the turn. And if I bet i instamuck the raise on the turn. You cannot beat anything at this point.

On the river, as you say your getting 3/1. You arent ahead 10% of the time here I dont think even. Save your money.