Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2007, 12:15 AM

Default limit buy-in

i have read post about bankroll requirements and buy-in's for specific games. i have searched and couldn't find any for buy-in in limit games.
i play in micro lhe and when you sit down you have the option of putting your whole bankroll down or as little as like $10. if playing for instance .25-.50 limit. what would i buy-in for? if that is too general i can try to be more specific. thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: limit buy-in

It doesn't matter as long as you have enough to cap every street.

Personally I buy in for 100bbs online as I will almost never get that low so I don't have to worry about it while multitabling.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 AM

Most people use anywhere from 20-30 big bets. I personally buyin for 25. So at .25/.50 Id buyin for 12.50
Old 08-25-2007, 12:49 AM

to cap each street, ie the maximum you will need for one hand is 12 bb

most buy in for double that or more as the above posters have noted
Old 08-25-2007, 01:02 AM

It doesn't matter much.

If you buy in for a large amount, some people will pay more attention to you, which is usually bad. If you are a winning player, you are usually playing very differently from the rest of the table, and it is usually better for you if your opponents don't realize this.

In theory, if you get short-stacked, you have a slight intrinsic advantage, just as being short-stacked in NL is an advantage. This isn't worth much in Hold'em, but it is worth a lot in stud variants (or Omaha) if you are down to 3 small bets or less. The reason is that a strong hand doesn't have much of an advantage over a weak hand on early streets of stud variants. It's a big advantage to be all-in while your opponents knock each other out, increasing your chances to win the pot.

In practice, it is worth a little extra to cover any maniac on a site where there is no cap on the number of bets which can go in heads up. In one hand, I had a 1 card royal flush, with KQJT of a suit on the board. My opponent just kept betting and raising. We put in 43 bets each on the turn until I was all-in. He had the 9, and just didn't want to accept that his straight-flush was probably behind. I think I missed out on another 20 big bets or so by not having him covered.

Most players with very short stacks in limit are bad players who don't really want to take anything away from the table. When you have a short stack, you don't have to play this way, which may give you a slight advantage over people who expect you to play badly.
Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 AM

as far as to what kind of player i am, i have come to terms with the fact that i am a weak tight player. i get scared off a lot (i think). does that up the buy-in while i work on that?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i get scared off a lot (i think). does that up the buy-in while i work on that?

[/ QUOTE ]
In theory that doesn't matter at all. Maybe people will bluff at you less frequently if you buy in for a little more than average, but I think this shouldn't be in the top 100 things to worry about.