Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 09:38 AM

Default God\'s Warriors (CNN)

This might be of interest to some on this forum. CNN has produced a three part documentary exploring the beliefs, practices, and political/criminal activity of the three major flavors of fundamentalist nutcases in Western religions: Jews, Muslims, and Christians.

God's Warriors CNN

Although the series concluded last night, you can watch them on Youtube by searching for "God's Warriors." (There also might be rebroadcasts, I dunno.)

I've only watched the Jewish episode so far. For those of us who do not suffer from the God delusion, it's pretty scary to actually watch these lunatics spout their nonsense, and what crazy stuff they are willing to do as justified by their irrational faith. Much of the Jewish episode focused on the violent conflicts caused by, as Sam Harris aptly put it, God's apparent role as an omnipotent real-estate broker. (Or something like that.)

The Jewish nutcases are probably the most benign overall. I shudder to think what the Muslim and Christian episodes are going to show.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: God\'s Warriors (CNN)

I thought an incredibly scary piece of footage, which shows how thoroughly religion can affect the brain was when they showed these Jewish men in their garb, facing a wall, and nodding their heads like madmen. Can they possibly realize how silly this activity looks to any rational person?

It's a good series and I think very important for ALL secularists to watch. It clearly shows just how dangerous the lunacy can get. Thanks for providing the link.

Btw to anyone: Is it just because I'm paying more attention to this subject lately, or are secularists, atheists, and agnostics, speaking out more? I think that's a good thing.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I've only watched the Jewish episode so far. For those of us who do not suffer from the God delusion, it's pretty scary to actually watch these lunatics spout their nonsense, and what crazy stuff they are willing to do as justified by their irrational faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is that if you could get Jews and Muslims to return to rationality (the universe popped up out of nothing for no reason) they would immediately lay down their weapons, hug each other like brothers, and break bread together.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the universe popped up out of nothing for no reason

[/ QUOTE ]
It's hard to take you seriously when you keep dragging out this tired and unsubstantiated appeal to ignorance. All you have to do is say "I am incapable of being reasonable about this topic." We will understand, no hard feelings.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My guess is that if you could get Jews and Muslims to return to rationality (the universe popped up out of nothing for no reason) they would immediately lay down their weapons, hug each other like brothers, and break bread together.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason to waste our time with the quarrels of this generation. The transition point - and the only chance at restoring peace because of the irreversibility of faith - is during indoctrination: relentless conversion of impressionable children into warriors of righteousness.

And you think I'm speaking only about the Muslims and Jews.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I've only watched the Jewish episode so far. For those of us who do not suffer from the God delusion, it's pretty scary to actually watch these lunatics spout their nonsense, and what crazy stuff they are willing to do as justified by their irrational faith.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your irrelevant, strawman caricature of cosmology aside, embracing rationality in that respect would be a strong necessary, but not sufficient condition, to end religious motivated violence.

I just noticed the CNN site indicates an "encore" broadcast of the series Friday 8/24 through Sunday 8/26 at 9pm ET.
Old 08-24-2007, 01:40 PM

I only saw bits and pieces of each of them...looked pretty good though, I'll have to check it out in full when I get a chance
Old 08-24-2007, 05:05 PM

Will be re-watching both episodes on Sat. and Sun.

Glad they gave no mention of Fred or Shirley Phelps.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:06 PM

Also...does anybody notice those glassy eyes of the Christians. They look like cult victims...

Anyone else see this?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
embracing rationality in that respect would be a strong necessary, but not sufficient condition, to end religious motivated violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rationality didn't work for the Khmer Rouge, Stalin, or the Jacobins. Rationality underlay Nazi master race science -- some of which they got from US researchers.

Where was religion in the neocon's rational brief on why to devastate Iraq?

Depending on your audience, rationalism can be a great motivator for atrocities, because who can argue with truth?

If ya'll get your atheist society, you are going to be mighty disappointed when scientific management dictates you must have a lobotomy.

--A fellow atheist with humility.